Just captured me 3 film stars...

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Next week I have to video a "snail behaviour" lab class in case of future lockdowns if uni labs get cancelled! The technician didnt want to order in 160 escargot until we know if the class will actually happen... so I said I would do BYO snails!
Just coming on to rain now and I found these 3 guys stuck to my back door, which I guess classes as volunteering, tentacles up who wants to be a film star?
They must be the children of last year's uni class lab snails that I released in my garden in March and who subsequently demolished my attempts at home grown beetroot, carrots and lettuces then filled the plant pots up with snail eggs! Welcome to the family business snaily guys/gals (they are both!) Smile for the camera and you'll be back in the beetroot stalks this time next week telling all your pals abduction stories/the sort of cucumbers you get in Hollywood :)
20200929_190823.jpg

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Do they have names? Marilyn, Dirk and Denzel perhaps 😆 What out for the divas x
Great names, I will call them that and tell the students! :)
Usually when we buy in snails for the uni lab classes although they are from a semi-free-range escargot farm and are sold to be eaten with garlic butter (eeeeek!) the students ask to take them home as pets or to release in their gardens afterwards, I honestly couldnt ever hurt a snail, they are the farmed version of the european garden snails so are sometimes a bit fatter than their wild friends but they do quite well outdoors and then they can be recaptured temporarily if I ever need another snail behaviour demo :)

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Best go catch some more @Betsy the snails think your fave film was called "slime" is that right lol? :)
They often get names, my old Mum rehomed some snails one Christmas that had been briefly exposed to low concentrations of pharmaceuticals as part of an ecotoxicology research project, she named them all after dead celebrities with drug and alcohol habits- we had Amy Winehouse who has her favourite snail, Lemmy, Freddy, George Michael, Prince, Michael Jackson, Kurt... I think she had a Marilyn too lol :) they were supposed to be humanely euthanised but they'd been in rehab for a month and had cutey tentacles so they accidentally fell in my bag on the last day of term and came home as pets...!

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I remember as kids we use to paint the snails found in the garden and let them go in the fields behind our houses. They often turned up within a few weeks back where we found them. They are amazing creatures and while I’m not a fan of most slugs I rather like snails (but not to eat :vom:)