Just started my first fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheeky

Teenage Guinea Pig
Joined
Jan 23, 2010
Messages
958
Reaction score
13
Points
350
Location
Halifax, West Yorkshire
I heard the detector go off but normally we just ignore it because it goes off whenever we cook anything, but this time I went in and it turns out I left an oven glove next to a lit gas ring and it was in flames and the hob knobs were melting.
Luckily my Dad was in the house and managed to put it out but I'm so shaken up. If he hadn't been there I wouldn't have dared go near it so I don't know what would have happened.

Ugh, I can't stop shaking. :(
 

janew

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Sep 19, 2009
Messages
561
Reaction score
59
Points
400
Location
Staffordshire, UK
That's scary, hopefully no serious damage done.

We moan at our smoke alarms as one is just outside the kitchen door and it goes off everytime we use the toaster or open the oven door, but it just goes to show how valuable they really are. Although they can be annoying, I'd never be without one now after we had a tumble dryer incident a few years ago - we didn't have smoke alarms at the time and luckily we were downstairs at the time, but we could just as easily been in bed asleep and not known.

Hope you are ok x
 

eva

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Mar 8, 2011
Messages
333
Reaction score
0
Points
135
((hugs)) it really shakes you up does in it. I set a pan on fire once i was warming some oil up to cook something and had my back turned sorting out the washing up I looked into another pan and saw flames coming up :( turned round and the pan was all on fire. I panicked did not have a clue what to do so i put on some oven gloves and ran the pan outside it was a windy day as well. How stupid was that lol. These things are so easy to happen though
 

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Messages
15,903
Reaction score
514
Points
1,070
Location
Morecambe
as long as you are ok thats the main thing. if you were on your own, maybe your survival instinct would have kicked in and you would have just done it yourself.

It is frightening, i nearly set my oven on fire once cooking sausages, and i nearly cried!
 

Wheeky

Teenage Guinea Pig
Joined
Jan 23, 2010
Messages
958
Reaction score
13
Points
350
Location
Halifax, West Yorkshire
Do you think my mother will notice? :...
lol

188609_207680932576786_100000046427177_884595_7608928_n.jpg
 

Farquhar

Senior Guinea Pig
Joined
Feb 9, 2009
Messages
6,773
Reaction score
89
Points
745
Location
glasgow
A bit of tippex and she will never notice:(|):(|) I once set my mums kitchen net curtains on fire after a night out. I put the toaster too close to them and the next thing I knew a flame shot up and frazzled the curtains. My mum was not happy:))
 

eva

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Mar 8, 2011
Messages
333
Reaction score
0
Points
135
surly you can buy new knobs quite cheap? If i was you think i would try to get them replaced that would have helped a lot with my mum could e bay or amazon help?
 

MrsM

Senior Guinea Pig
Joined
Nov 29, 2008
Messages
5,645
Reaction score
10
Points
0
Location
Wirral
oh dear.... I've had many mishaps!

I nearly set my bedroom on fire for leaving a candle on and going to the loo... I heard this crackly noise as I was leaving and one of my art hwk sheets had caught fire...

I also nearly set a pub on fire... I was in the flat above, cooking lunch, and had turned the hot plate on to boil water. Cos the managers never ate in the flat, the cooker was covered with all sorts. ANyway, I went to check my water and there was a huge plume of smoke coming from the dog food bag which was nicely cooking on the other plate! lol... Trouble is that the alarm didn't go off which was a bit of an issue in a pub! lol

Lastly, my OH nearly set his parents' house on fire. He came home after a heavy night, decided to make cheese on toast under the gas grill, fell asleep in front of the TV, next thing he knows, the alarm is going off, there's smoke everywhere and his dad is sorting it all out but not impressed at all.

at least your dad and you are safe...
 

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Messages
15,903
Reaction score
514
Points
1,070
Location
Morecambe
A bit of tippex and she will never notice:(|):(|) I once set my mums kitchen net curtains on fire after a night out. I put the toaster too close to them and the next thing I knew a flame shot up and frazzled the curtains. My mum was not happy:))

ha ha tippex :))
 

doglovinpiggylover

Senior Guinea Pig
Joined
Aug 21, 2010
Messages
15,903
Reaction score
514
Points
1,070
Location
Morecambe
oh dear.... I've had many mishaps!

I nearly set my bedroom on fire for leaving a candle on and going to the loo... I heard this crackly noise as I was leaving and one of my art hwk sheets had caught fire...

I also nearly set a pub on fire... I was in the flat above, cooking lunch, and had turned the hot plate on to boil water. Cos the managers never ate in the flat, the cooker was covered with all sorts. ANyway, I went to check my water and there was a huge plume of smoke coming from the dog food bag which was nicely cooking on the other plate! lol... Trouble is that the alarm didn't go off which was a bit of an issue in a pub! lol

Lastly, my OH nearly set his parents' house on fire. He came home after a heavy night, decided to make cheese on toast under the gas grill, fell asleep in front of the TV, next thing he knows, the alarm is going off, there's smoke everywhere and his dad is sorting it all out but not impressed at all.

at least your dad and you are safe...

MrsM, you always have the best stories! :))
 
Joined
Feb 2, 2011
Messages
1,516
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
I'm glad you're safe! And I'm sure your mum will be too, accidents happen so she can't be too mad! I have them horrible smoke alarms that are wired into the electric and are ridiculously loud and sensitive and forever going off, so I do worry that someday there will be a real fire and I'll be disregarding the alarms :{ However if they saved my life someday I wouldn't be calling them horrible lol
 

jomad1000

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Aug 7, 2008
Messages
439
Reaction score
4
Points
240
Location
Southampton
Glad you are all ok and your alarm worked.

I set fire to my toaster a few years ago. Was cooking on the back ring and the toaster was too close and caught fire. (Hob was gas and on a high heat so the flames touched the toaster).

The alarm went off and I slowly went back into the kitchen thinking that something was burning to find the toaster on fire.

The OH took it outside and called the fire brigade (I was not sure what to do & in a panic and googled what do I do in a fire. Why I don't know rather than taking it outside or calling the fire service. (Panic I think!)

Landlord was not impressed I have to say and we had to replace the work surface and part of the carpet when melting plastic ruined it.
 

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Joined
Oct 13, 2006
Messages
36,836
Reaction score
1,458
Points
1,965
Location
Croydon, Victoria, Australia
PHEW a close call :...
Really glad that you're both ok xxxxxxxxx

Take it as a little lesson, i'm sure you'll not do that again! xx>>>

Call up the manufacturers and they'll advise where you can get replacement knobs :)
 

piggyme234

Adult Guinea Pig
Joined
Jun 2, 2009
Messages
1,433
Reaction score
212
Points
530
Location
Hull
Glad you are ok

When I was 13/14 my dad burnt a big area of our back garden and it spread into 3 other gardens. He decided to burn two old christmas trees in the middle of a drought while surrounded by pine needles :x When we lived in the states most of our garden was pine trees so the needles were everywhere. I had been out with my mum and I came in through the kitchen door and saw flames coming over the bushes in the middle of the lawn and my dad running with a mop bucket. I ran out with a bottle of water and started to stomp on the flames. My sister ran to get my mum who cleverly thought to use the garden hose but my dad had not thought to build his fire close enough to the tap for it to reach.
My mum decided that we needed to call the fire brigade and sent me to ring them. I went out to look for them and saw the guy across the road, who was a fire man, in his garden. He came over and used nextdoors hose to put it out but not before it had burnt my neighbours azalea bushes and the log pile of the house backing on to us. He will never live it down :)) but it's only funny cuz nobody got hurt.

On a more serious note if you do find something on fire in your house don't be tempted to take it outside. The draft from the door can blow the flames right over you and burn you really badly. That happened to my great uncle and he has really badly scarred hands where his skin melted. :)>>>
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top