• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Keeping my piggies warm

Oreo&Reese

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have to keep my guinea pigs in the basement because my mom is allergic and it can get cold down there. With it being hot out, the air in the house is on, and the basement is already cool without the A/C. I sneak and turn the heater on downstairs when I can but she’s not a fan because it will run up her bill :P Any suggestions on how to keep them warm? They have blankets to sleep on and hideys. They always seem fine, but I just want to make sure they’re okay. Should I drape blankets over the cage to insulate it?

thanks!

What the temperature is it near their cage/basement?
To keep them warm you can use
Piles of hay and hay stuffed into their hidey houses for them to snuggle into
Covering the cage
Microwaveable heat pads called snugglesafes

I’m not exactly sure what the temperature is. I would say low 60s. I’m usually cold when I’m down here with them so I know their tiny bodies might be cold. They have hideys and Ill add some hay into them until I can get some snuggle sacks! I’ll also start covering the cage at night because that’s usually when we have the air on. They’re usually fine during the day.

What the temperature is it near their cage/basement?
To keep them warm you can use
Piles of hay and hay stuffed into their hidey houses for them to snuggle into
Covering the cage
Microwaveable heat pads called snugglesafes
m not exactly sure what the temperature is. I would say low 60s. I’m usually cold when I’m down here with them so I know their tiny bodies might be cold. They have hideys and Ill add some hay into them until I can get some snuggle sacks! I’ll also start covering the cage at night because that’s usually when we have the air on. They’re usually fine during the day. They are also usually warm when I touch them. Does that mean theyre probably fine ?

I’m not exactly sure what the temperature is. I would say low 60s. I’m usually cold when I’m down here with them so I know their tiny bodies might be cold. They have hideys and Ill add some hay into them until I can get some snuggle sacks! I’ll also start covering the cage at night because that’s usually when we have the air on. They’re usually fine during the day.
Hi! :)
The low 60s is a bit too cold for piggies.
I believe that 65 - 75 degrees is the recommended range for temperature.
Please refer to all of the options given by @Piggies&buns.
It is possible to close the A/C vent in the basement?

Hi! :)
The low 60s is a bit too cold for piggies.
I believe that 65 - 75 degrees is the recommended range for temperature.
Please refer to all of the options given by @Piggies&buns.
It is possible to close the A/C vent in the basement?
We only have one vent and I closed it. I also keep them as far away from the windows and vent. It still stays a bit chilly down here. I always go to touch them and they feel warm. Does this mean they’re probably okay? I put some blankets around the cage for the night to keep them warm just in case.

I believe that the feeling of the ears translates to body temperature and the feeling of the coat translates to the temperature of the environment.
I am not entirely sure about that, though! :)

60F works out to 15 degrees Celsius. 15c is the lowest temperatures they should be exposed to. They are most comfortable at around 18-20c. So, it’s not too cold for them quite yet but it is on the colder side if it gets down to 60f. As long as it doesn’t get any colder down there and that there are no draughts at all. I’d ensure they have some soft fleece houses they can snuggle into.

Back