Keeping on fleece?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiggly

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have heard several people say they keep their pigs on fleece. What do you mean by this and does it not get very wet and smelly?

I have 3 boys who live in a tray-style indoor cage overnight, lined with newspaper/ aquamax and hay. They can jump in and out and run around the conservatory, and they tend to trail hay everywhere when they do, and it gets all through the house. I would love to hear of an alternative like fleece i could try.

Do you have to give them a litter tray? how do you ensure they all piddle in the litter tray - my boys all piddle in the house and not on the floor, but i dont know how to litter train them.

During the day they are outside in a double level hutch with an attached run covering the bottom level which is kept open for them. They havent worked out how to get upstairs, and they tend not to run around the run either. This cage is also newspaper and hay. Would i have to get fleece for out here, despite if it gets wet if it rains it may be uncomfortable for them?

thanks!

Millie's-Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My girls live on fleece blankets with towels and newspaper underneath.
I have a kitten litter tray with hay in it.
My girls live indoors in a C&C all year round

xx

PAMELAKT

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had never heard of it before either but I love it it's a great idea. You find a fleece that's 100% polyester, wash it 3 times & then you can lay this out in your cage with 2 bath towels underneath. The wee is absorbed through to the towells leaving the fleece pretty dry. No smell whatsoever.

My boys aren't potty trained so they pee & poop everywhere really but I just scoop out the poop twice a day then wash it all twice a week. It's really easy I have indoor pigs so it's better than having to deal with woodshavings etc.

Reaction score
Hello, :)

I myself have just started using fleece this last week as I had been looking online and noticing how a lot of people are using it for their indoor piggies. I had previously used newspaper and then shavings but I have to say I have so far found using fleece a good thing. You do have to clean up the poops every day but that is not really any hassle and it's just like when you clean up your own house each day. I have changed all of the bedding/fleece once so far and it was sooooo easy, you just roll it up take it outside give it a shake and then put in the wash! You do need to have other clean fleece ready to use while the other is in the wash of course but again it's no bother really. Alfie, my boy pig seams quite happy with it so i'm happy! :(|)

Margaret

Reaction score
Ive just started using fleece I put newspaper and a layer of megazorb underneath, my wiggle uses his bed as a loo so it keeps quite dry for me. Tesco are doing pet fleeces for £2 from xmas at the moment I just bought 5 and keeps changing them every few days. Hes indoors.

ajb

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The main thing with fleece is, it doesn't work with all fleeces - some the urine drains through, and with others it stays on top. People say that you can fix the latter by washing them repeatedly, but I haven't got that to work.

Reaction score
Do you notice much of a price difference. I ordered the giant bale of hay and woodshavings from pah and ItS not too expensive but saying that only had boys two weeks :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.