Keeping them warm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abnoba

New Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
2,489
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
North Yorkshire
I read alot about what to do to keep your piggies cool during hot weather, e.g. plastic bottles with ice in them, cool tiles or bricks in the cage, or these blue icepacks wrapped in a towel.

But what to do in winter, apart from putting lots of hay in with them?

I live in a house that is quite cold in winter (and we only have coal fired central heating) so that we are actually thinking of moving, its that bad... usually only about 16 °C or 18°C at the most (during the day!) While we help ourselves with lots of layers of clothing (tshirt jumper cardigan dressing gown) what to do about the pigs?

Do you think just lots of hay is enough? I got three piggies, so would they cuddle up to each other to keep themselves warm?
Or do you do the same things like in summer, just reverse - hot water bottle wrapped in a towel ?

Id be grateful for any suggestions, as the weather is starting to cool down loads already.
 
C

cutecavy

Aww, I hope you find out lots of ways to keep them warm!

I guess having a warm water bottle wrapped in a towel would be okay, I'm not sure though. Maybe things like cozies and fleece blankets will help keep them warm, so they can curl up.

Livie x
 

kellyandpiggies

New Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
15,993
Reaction score
4
Points
0
My lot have the heating turned up in their rooms! LOL

But failing that, as Livie suggested cozies, tents and cuddle cups are nice. Also a fleece inside the hutch for them.

I wouldn't personally use a hot water bottle, covered or not!
 

Abnoba

New Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
2,489
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
North Yorkshire
Thanks for the replies :) They already have a cuddle cup - which they ignore - but maybe when it gets real cold they will change their mind ;) With the blankets - do you just crunch them up and put them in a corner for them to hide underneath, or do you stuff it into their houses? Obviously laying a blanket flat is a bit useless as the piggies cant tuck themselves in..

Just out of curiosity: Why wouldnt you use a hot water bottle? The only thing I can imagine is the piggies burrowing themselves through the towels and nibbling on the bottle - SPLASH! What a mess - and danger of burns for the piggies - that would be!

But given I have enough towels or bottle covers around so they cant get through - what speaks against it? Is there any other dangerous potential in them that I havent even thought of yet?
 

kellyandpiggies

New Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Messages
15,993
Reaction score
4
Points
0
Abnoba said:
They already have a cuddle cup - which they ignore - but maybe when it gets real cold they will change their mind ;) With the blankets - do you just crunch them up and put them in a corner for them to hide underneath, or do you stuff it into their houses? Obviously laying a blanket flat is a bit useless as the piggies cant tuck themselves in..
I usually add a bit of hay to the cuddle cup to entice them to use it! However, they probably do when you're not around!

Blanket at bottom just adds warmth to the hutch, but it's entirely up to you on how you want to put it in.


Abnoba said:
Just out of curiosity: Why wouldnt you use a hot water bottle? The only thing I can imagine is the piggies burrowing themselves through the towels and nibbling on the bottle - SPLASH! What a mess - and danger of burns for the piggies - that would be!

But given I have enough towels or bottle covers around so they cant get through - what speaks against it? Is there any other dangerous potential in them that I havent even thought of yet?
I wouldn't use them for your main point. But this is just MY preference. :) Use them by all means :) I never said that you couldn't use them. :) :)

kellyandpiggies said:
I wouldn't personally use a hot water bottle, covered or not!
 

Barmy4boars

New Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2006
Messages
922
Reaction score
4
Points
0
Location
Yorkshire Uk
I wouldn't use a hot water bottle either, incase they get chewed and your piggys get scalded :o. They are not designed for sharp teeth and claws! However you can get microwave heat pads that are pet safe they sell them here with a free cover- I am getting some for if the piggys are ill to keep them warm. Not sure if they are something you would want to use to heat your cages o a regular basis but you could have a look. They have them here:

http://www.acrorats.co.uk/

My old house was also cold- we didn't have central heating. I kept the pigs warm with a thermostatically controlled electric heater. It was fairly cheap to run which was just as well as I had it on pretty much all winter long (on low)! In their cages I just gave extra hay and hidey houses and put a blanket over at night incase of drafts... but the room didn't need it really with that lovely heater. One of those would probably be just the job for you.
 

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jan 24, 2006
Messages
19,547
Reaction score
5
Points
875
Location
West Cornwall
I would cut up pieces of fleece/ blanket. Lots of hay. Drape a cover over one end of hutch to keep the warm in. Or take them into your bed ;D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top