• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Knowing when to euthanise Guinea pig

Joeypig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My gp is 7 and his brother was put to sleep last month which surprisingly didn’t seem to affect him. He’s still squeaking if we’re not up by 7am shouting for his veg 😊 He is very stiff though and twice recently I’ve found him stuck on his side. Luckily he lives indoors and we’re mostly around but I’m getting so worried he’ll get stuck when I’m out and struggle for ages and hurt himself. I now give him some calcium liquid once a day but not sure this is helping. The vet was unhelpful just said he seems happy and I’ll know when the time is right to have him put to sleep. Any advice please?

Has he been scanned for arthritis at all? My late Bumble had quite marked arthritis and was put on a daily dose of metacam to keep her comfortable until she was ready to pass. I would potentially look at getting a second opinion from a cavy savvy vet. If you are UK based we have a vet locator in the top bar with vets that forum members have recommended

Has he been scanned for arthritis at all? My late Bumble had quite marked arthritis and was put on a daily dose of metacam to keep her comfortable until she was ready to pass. I would potentially look at getting a second opinion from a cavy savvy vet. If you are UK based we have a vet locator in the top bar with vets that forum members have recommended
Thanks I’ll look at the vet locator

Just an update. His X-ray showed bones were thin and he had bony lumps on a back leg but basically it’s just bad arthritis. He was put on 0.4ml metacam a day and really has a new lease of life now it’s so lovely to see. So hopefully we can just keep him on the painkillers permanently now 😀

Glad to hear he's doing better, try giving oxbow joint care glucosamine tablets aswell, i have read reviews about it bringing stiff rabbits and guinea pigs back to like being young again. You can order these over the internet.

My benson has bad arthritis too and loxicom has really improved mobility. Unfortunately, he also has some very abnormal liver results from his bloods and is on palliative care.

I think they can stay on these pain killers long term though so great news for your piggy!

Glad you found a good solution for your boy
Hopefully he’ll enjoy life more now that he’s out of pain

Just an update. His X-ray showed bones were thin and he had bony lumps on a back leg but basically it’s just bad arthritis. He was put on 0.4ml metacam a day and really has a new lease of life now it’s so lovely to see. So hopefully we can just keep him on the painkillers permanently now 😀
Aw, that’s great news x

That's great that he has perked up. Keep going with the pain relief and your vet can always consider moving to tramadol if the metacam stops being as effective. It's all about quality of life now so while he is happy and being able to do piggy things then just keep up the pain relief and let him enjoy life. I'm sure he will let you know when it's too much

I have and have had several arthritic oldies on long term metacam; it has made a real difference to their quality of life.
You can also look for joint supplement glucosamine.

Back