LGBTQ+ animals quiz

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Many unenlightened folks say that being gay or transgender just "isn't natural"... well, us animal scientists know otherwise!
The animal kingdom is full to bursting with a whole rainbow spectrum of sexual and gender diversity, just as Mother Nature intended :)
So here's a fun quiz! From 8pm I will be posting an LGBTQ+ animal question about every 10-15 minutes, please reply to have a go at answering if you like, then 10-15 mins later I will post the answer plus some fun and enlightening facts, then I'll post the next question... so do you know your botos from your sea hares...?

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
So... as we seem to have gone live a bit early... a starter question...
aplysia.jpg
What's all this about then? Who are these squishy animal people and what's so fun about this conga line...?

Amy Westland

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So... as we seem to have gone live a bit early... a starter question...
View attachment 150373
What's all this about then? Who are these squishy animal people and what's so fun about this conga line...?
Are they sea slugs ? If they are sea slugs are hermaphroditic (I don’t know if I’ve spelt that right) but they have both male and female sex organs and can self reproduce or reproduce with another

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
@Falken and @Amy Westland you are clearly top of the LGBTQ+ animals class! These happy animals are a sea slug called Aplysia, they all love one another as they are simultaneous hermaphrodites, so they do this "daisy chain" mating dance with everyone inseminating the slug friend in front and receiving sperm from the slug friend behind... its a beautiful answer to many of life's gender and marriage problems :)

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Question 2: Which animals were first observed by scientists engaging in homosexual activity? And what did the scientists think about it at the time?