• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lice! What can I do in the mean time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Found out my poor little babies have lice - horrible little browny creamy worm things. Have bought some lice n easy online, so should be here soon, but was wondering what I can do in the mean time? I don't like to leave them all lice ridden :( want to disinfect the cage and everything right now!

Also, from what I've read,it was said that piggies are more susceptible to lice if they are low in vitamin C? Is this true? They have a very good diet - I use the shopping list in the food section on here religiously.

Reaction score
i swear by neem oil, it gets rid of most things and i find it sooths the skin. I get a neem shampoo from a shop in town that sells all exotic stuff like chinease foods and stuff.

Reaction score
Ah, I have some neem oil coming in the post too! Thanks, glad I'm on the right track. I'm tempted to try and comb them out like you would a humans head lice? But don't want to traumatise them either :(

Will be taking them to the vet this week for a check up either way.

Reaction score
you could have a go i guess see how they react. If you have a home bargains by you they sell lice shampoo (dr jonsons) for 99p ive used this before and it worked a treat.

when you use the neem oil (if its not a shampoo) leave it in there fur for a few days. It/'s completly safe for them to groom themselves with it on. I(n the peter gurney books it says it does them good to digest some so its getting right in the system to rid them of nasties.

hope that helps :)

Reaction score
oh and whie you are at the vets ask for some xeno spot on, its good stuff and not to expensive!

Reaction score
Oh thank you, lots of advice there! Got an appointment Monday luckily as they have odd opening hours.

Reaction score
Oh and also, whats the best way of disinfecting the fleece they are on? Would it be better to throw the infected ones out and just buy new ones?

Cat&ThePiggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Try washing it on a hot wash 50 degrees or more and also try adding white vinegar to the drum when washing them. Also, give the fleece a good brush with a stiff brush to ensure that you get any eggs off.

Also, you could probably buy disinfectant that's safe to use on materials.

Reaction score
I hope this shampoo and neem oil comes soon, I can't bear not doing anything :(

Status
Not open for further replies.