• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Limping pig, advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone I wondered if I could get some advice. One of our piggies is limping, we took her to the vets yesterday, and nothing is broken. He did not want to do any other treatment, just wait and see if it gets better. Today she seems worse, not moving around, she is eating all her food and is going to the toilet ok.

Does anyone have any advice, she is about 5 years old so it could be arthritis but as she has got worse over 4 days it might be something else.

Thanks sally

is there any chance of her falling off anything like a wooden house? does she have a good appetite for veggies, just thinking of vitamin C deficiency.
I am surprised he didnt prescribe metacam, pain killer and anti inflammatory.

Thanks for your reply, yes she could have hurt it on the ramp, or the other pig is often running over her in order to hide behind her. She eats lots of veggies like broccoli, pepper and carrots so I think her vitamin C intake should be OK.

Yes I was surprised that he did not give her some painkillers, I will take her back in a few days if she is not better.

I wish I could do something to make her feel a bit better, she looks so sorry for her self 8...

Poor girlie, it is difficult seeing them looking sorry for themselves.

I would be inclined, Sally, to put her in a small cage so she has restricted movement - or as I call it, enforced rest. Personally I would also dose with children's Nurofen, 0.2ml 2x daily, it does the job and I have used it safely on the majority of guinea pigs I have seen and treated (including many of my own).

thanks for the advice, I will go out today and get some children's Nurofen and give her some if she does not get better over the weekend.

We have put her in a small hospital cage as we call it, only used once before. She seemed a bit better last night when my husband sat on the floor and feed them, she came over 3 times for food, good for her. But this morning she seems stiff and is limping again 8...

limping piggy

Hi,

I've had this with one of my pigs and it can last a few days but then she just pulls herself round again. She is quite bouncy so I do wonder if it's from bouncing too enthusiastically.

Be reassured that she is still eating and seems relatively bright and keep fingers crossed she is better soon.

I am also surprised that the vet didn't give her a painkiller!

Hope she is better soon. x

Depending on where she has injured herself, it can take some time for her to get better.

One of my sows took about two weeks to stop limping after she sprained her shoulder joint badly. Continue to give her pain some killer today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back