Little fat belly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Well as you know a few weeks ago i gave daisy and calleigh a new home they are about 3 months old.

every day i give everyone a little check up anyway calleight has a much fatter belly than daisy and my 2 other girls who are around the same age.

can they just have little budda bellys or should i check for other things .

Rachel WD

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Does she weigh much more than the others? Is there a chance she could be pregnant? Sorry, I don't know where you got them from.

Millie's-Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would weigh them all, like said before is there a chance she could be pregnant?

Reaction score
when i pick her up she feels like she weighs more i have not put them on the scales yet .

i got her from p@h she was daisys little friend whlie daisy was getting better from ring worm .

she has not been even close to my boys but i dont no about at P@h they were not even on show just stuck out the back

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
A) Weigh all of your piggies once weekly - it's a good illness detector.

B) How long have you had the girls for? You can never exclude pregnancy in a shop girl; my pregnant shop girl was neatly separated in the shop when I saw her, but NOT during the transport to the shop as it turned out! The first signs of pregnancy show about 5-6 weeks into the bargain.

C) Sows have different body structures and some can develop very pearshaped bums without being pregnant.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Have a look at both your girls' nipples. If one set is enlongated and swollen compared to the other, then that is a pretty surefire sign of pregnancy. Please do not squeeze a potentially pregnant belly. Try and see if you can feel hard balls when you hold your flat hand under her belly.

If you suspect a sow to be rpegnant, please give her double the amount of vitamin C - one slice of pepper daily will do that. Do not feed more. Top up the normal hay with alfalfa hay for extra calcium. Weigh your piggies weekly. A pregnant sow should put on more and more with every week that goes by, while a non-pregnant sow will grow at a steady rate.

Here is more on pregnancy:
http://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html also see links faq and labor

Reaction score
I'm going to get some kitchen scales today so i can see her weight .

Her nipples are very long and her belly seems very tight can not feel anything in her belly but did not try to hard as i dident want to hurt her.

it is 50 /50 if she is or not after all the stuff i have looked up but untill i know for sure i think I'm going to treat her as if she is .

I'm crossing fingers and toes that she is just a tubby little piggy but if she is they will all stay with me as there is more than enough room for a few extra .

Status
Not open for further replies.