• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Lizard!

Reaction score
Super cute lizard that I rescued from the zoo. They didn't want her so they were drowning her! How ridiculous is that. They could have at least sold it. They had a pair and didn't want another Argentine Tegu so while they were drowning it i went to the manager who was watching and said I would buy it. He agreed but by the time he had told them to stop she was almost dead. I had to perform CPR! She is called stripe because of the stripe down her back. She looks very small on that photo.

Attachments

Louise's Zoo

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
I can't zoom in on the photo but is that not a leopard gecko?

How odd. What zoo drowns a lizard?

Louise's Zoo

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
Just managed to zoom in. That is not an Argentine tegu. That is a leopard gecko. Very different. I would think a zoo would know that!

Betsy

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Why would a zoo want to drown an animal? That's appalling!

Gem789

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I would be reporting that zoo if I were you.That is absolutely disgusting and I feel very angry and upset reading that.What zoo is it?

Tim

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
That doesn’t sound right at all! :(
It’s good though that this little fella is now in your care, well done for rescuing :) x

Reaction score
Not sure what I find more shocking - a zoo trying to drown a reptile in its care in full view of a member of the public; their agreement to sell a reptile in their care; or their inability to correctly identify its species. Shocking on all counts.
:agr:It's terrible! I thought she was small for an Argentine.

Reaction score
Who would I report them to?
My holiday changed in to a geko rescue mission!
Also I have changed Stripe's name to Spot since she is a leopard geko!:-) :-)

Louise's Zoo

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
So you brought a leopard gecko back into the UK from Sweden...

Tiamolly123

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
This is awful, really makes your tummy turn, but I've heard if they have no place to put an animal & no other zoo wants them they simply shoot them. I suppose they don't think, we'll put implants in them all.

David Piggie Lover

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Most Zoos including in the uk feed their animals with other dead animals.
This is harsh I know but it happens out of public view lot of painful things happen.
25 years ago feeding time was live stock given to killers e.g. large cat family.
I used to sponser at Chester Zoo reptiles one year on the 're notations for another year I was lead into a back room to Wait for the lady and i was shocked and upset to see beautiful tortoise shells being used for ash trays.
My that took me ages to get over that. :doh:

Louise's Zoo

Forum Donator 2017/18
Reaction score
Aren’t there quarantine rules about this?
Don't think so, not for reptiles. I'm just trying to make sense of the story tbh.

I hope the op has the correct enclosure, equipment and experience to care for this gecko. Mine cost me a lot to set up and it's sad how many of them end up just stuck in a tiny tank and fed a poor diet.

As for the zoo, I have emailed them about this post and asked them to take a look into this story.

Reaction score
Don't think so, not for reptiles. I'm just trying to make sense of the story tbh.

I hope the op has the correct enclosure, equipment and experience to care for this gecko. Mine cost me a lot to set up and it's sad how many of them end up just stuck in a tiny tank and fed a poor diet.

As for the zoo, I have emailed them about this post and asked them to take a look into this story.
I am not sure how much the zoo knows. The public stopped coming so the manager left. The zoo is still abusing other animals though. It is horrible and I have spread the word to try and end this.
I hope the zoo will get back to you quickly with full story. :-)
Aren’t there quarantine rules about this?
No. The man on the ferry said he would charge me double through because he is scared of lizards/gekos!
how outrageous is that. I didn't know that they could even do that!