• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Locked door policy at vets

furryfriends (TEAS)

Forum Founder
Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Director at TEAS (East Hunsbury) Northampton
Over the past few months, I see some vets are now starting to allow clients back onto their premises, usually just one client per pet. My vets are still not allowing clients in and I was wondering how many of us are still not being able to accompany our pets to their appointments and what the arrangements are at the various practices. I am very conscious of the fact that the weather will be getting colder and wetter and I am not sure how practices can continue to leave the clients outdoors, especially as many travel to the vets in a taxi, so don't have a car to wait in. However, a car gets very cold too, when the outside temperatures are low. I appreciate the virus is still out there, but other businesses are making their premises COVID secure.

I have had to take my dogs during lockdown, thankfully not the piggles, when it was for their vaccinations they just took them from me in the car park, but my older dog has broken his toe 🤷🏼‍♀️ and I was allowed in wearing a mask for the consultation but had to wait in the car until the vet came to collect us. When he had to go in for his X-ray I didn't go in or to collect him everything was done outside. I guess maybe as the weather changes they may have to allow a limited number of people in the waiting room? Or perhaps tailor clinics to accommodate different pets? I'm aware some do cat clinics?

I had a couple trips this week and we had to be outside in the car.

The piggies cope fine with going in without me, although I would prefer a face to face discussion about them, as it’s harder to take everything in over the phone.

I’m really worried about my cats upcoming vaccination, as she’s a very nervous cat, who won’t let anyone near her, if she can’t see me. I’ve been working hard with her, to get her used to being handled by a vet, using positive reinforcement and we’ve come a long way. However, she does need me to be there. I fear all the progress will be lost, if I can’t be with her. I also want her to have a thorough examination, as she’s now 10 and it’s important that problems are detected early, and I can’t see that being possible!

Our vet is in Pets at Home so has other issues to consider I guess. But they are allowing 1 person upstairs into the waiting area right on the appointment time. There are 3 chairs in a taped box. You sit in the chair and the vet comes out and does the chat before taking the animal into the consulting room. Another chat in the waiting room afterwards.

I think more effort needs to go into making places Covid secure. We have been having to do it in healthcare for months and so places like vets and dentists can look at the models in use in the hospitals. We have mixtures of Perspex screens, reduced seating and careful timing in conjunction with masks and symptom screening. We are now having to try and expand this to accommodate someone accompanying the patient so two people at a time instead of one!

Our vet is in Pets at Home so has other issues to consider I guess. But they are allowing 1 person upstairs into the waiting area right on the appointment time. There are 3 chairs in a taped box. You sit in the chair and the vet comes out and does the chat before taking the animal into the consulting room. Another chat in the waiting room afterwards.

I think more effort needs to go into making places Covid secure. We have been having to do it in healthcare for months and so places like vets and dentists can look at the models in use in the hospitals. We have mixtures of Perspex screens, reduced seating and careful timing in conjunction with masks and symptom screening. We are now having to try and expand this to accommodate someone accompanying the patient so two people at a time instead of one!
We have to put the pets in the porch area and they are picked up from there, once we have left. I send a note in with the guinea pigs and then get a phone call after their treatment and they are returned to the porch, for collection. I would much rather have a face to face discussion, even if we can't go into the consult room.

I am really worried about the winter, as I take a number of piggies, so will be sat in a cold car for a very long time. However, I do have a car and lots of people don't even have that.

I wish they would install some perspex screens, as we are going to be living with this virus for a long time, so we really need to get back to some sort of normality.

My vets you wait in the car park in your car. The vet then comes out and takes the pet whilst you wait in your car. The vet then phones you to discuss and then brings the pet back out

I have been to three separate vets during lockdown all with varying approaches. One allowed two in reception at one time however most people stayed outside I opted to stay in the car. In consult both owner and vet wears masks and each person stays at the opposite side of clinic room it is a large room and over 2 metres distance is kept. You talk about the pet before the consult.

Another didn't allow the owners inside unless it was PTS in which case they would allow two people in to be with the animal and the vet ensuring they are socially distanced normal appointments are completed without the owner being present.

The last one has a closed surgery where you are not allowed in at all, and the reception comes out to greet you and collect the pet, the vet will then call youm I believe this particular surgery the vet maybe in the vulnerable category and they are doing all they can to protect them.

I have been to three separate vets during lockdown all with varying approaches. One allowed two in reception at one time however most people stayed outside I opted to stay in the car. In consult both owner and vet wears masks and each person stays at the opposite side of clinic room it is a large room and over 2 metres distance is kept. You talk about the pet before the consult.

Another didn't allow the owners inside unless it was PTS in which case they would allow two people in to be with the animal and the vet ensuring they are socially distanced normal appointments are completed without the owner being present.

The last one has a closed surgery where you are not allowed in at all, and the reception comes out to greet you and collect the pet, the vet will then call youm I believe this particular surgery the vet maybe in the vulnerable category and they are doing all they can to protect them.
It’s interesting to hear about the differing protocols. Fully understandable if vet in vulnerable category too. I was just so grateful they were open for business during the peak and wouldn’t have expected to go in. I’m just worried now, with the onset of colder weather, and no sign of a vaccine yet, and feel more needs to be out in place. I wear a mask to just drop off in the enclosed porch, as fear that could be potentially a virus trap, as so many people go in and out.

Our vets is still closed doors, you phone from the carpark then the nurse or receptionist comes out to collect the pet.
I see why because our vets waiting room is tiny, but it does make me anxious sending pets in unaccompanied, and it is frustrating as I would like to actually speak to the vet- our Blodwen has had a recurring URI this summer and I would like to discuss chest xrays, alternative antibiotics, swabs to find the best antibiotic, see her back teeth being checked... so far we havent been offered any conversation with anyone except the receptionist or junior nurse, but I think on Monday I am going to insist on a telephone conversation with the senior vet about my little raspy honky Blodwen!

Our vets is still closed doors, you phone from the carpark then the nurse or receptionist comes out to collect the pet.
I see why because our vets waiting room is tiny, but it does make me anxious sending pets in unaccompanied, and it is frustrating as I would like to actually speak to the vet- our Blodwen has had a recurring URI this summer and I would like to discuss chest xrays, alternative antibiotics, swabs to find the best antibiotic, see her back teeth being checked... so far we havent been offered any conversation with anyone except the receptionist or junior nurse, but I think on Monday I am going to insist on a telephone conversation with the senior vet about my little raspy honky Blodwen!
oh no! So you don’t get to speak with the vet all all? I send a note in with all of ours and get a phone call after he’s seen them x

oh no! So you don’t get to speak with the vet all all? I send a note in with all of ours and get a phone call after he’s seen them x
I've been sending in a very long note, but I've not spoken to the vet- though this may be piggy daddy's fault as he's the one who drives and does the vet trips, I would be more insistent if I was there!
I am going to phone on Monday though and ask about Blodwen, after her follow up appointment- this is her second URI since July so we cant just keep giving her baytril if it recurrs again, I want to see some proper diagnostics going on!

I've been sending in a very long note, but I've not spoken to the vet- though this may be piggy daddy's fault as he's the one who drives and does the vet trips, I would be more insistent if I was there!
I am going to phone on Monday though and ask about Blodwen, after her follow up appointment- this is her second URI since July so we cant just keep giving her baytril if it recurrs again, I want to see some proper diagnostics going on!
You definitely need to speak to the vet. I’m just getting very frustrated now. It’s been almost 6 months and they need to find safe ways to work as normally as possible. All other businesses are having to do so! x

We have a queue at the front door so it's almost impossible to drive into the car park so I parked down the street. Had my daughter in her carrier screaming because she had just fallen asleep in the car so I couldn't hear the intercom. Then you meet the vet round the back when they are done for a discussion. It's hard having to take a baby along and I will struggle in winter

Back