• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Loner pig

TNWApigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a guinea pig who simply seems to prefer solitude? My loner pig lives in the same cage with the other piggies but doesn't interact with the others unless they come to her. It's nothing too aggressive, simply she seems to want to be on her own. I'm not really concerned because no one is being hurt, just curious to see if anyone else has a similar experience.

Piggies have all personalities some piggies like to be in the safety of a group but remain on the outskirts. Nothing to worry about at all.

Has anyone ever had a guinea pig who simply seems to prefer solitude? My loner pig lives in the same cage with the other piggies but doesn't interact with the others unless they come to her. It's nothing too aggressive, simply she seems to want to be on her own. I'm not really concerned because no one is being hurt, just curious to see if anyone else has a similar experience.

Yes, piggies can have a wide range of personalities and some like to do their own stuff.
But it is good that yours is still integrated in a group, and as long as she is eating with the others and has the space to keep her distance, then there is nothing to worry about. ;)

Yes, piggies can have a wide range of personalities and some like to do their own stuff.
But it is good that yours is still integrated in a group, and as long as she is eating with the others and has the space to keep her distance, then there is nothing to worry about. ;)
So my cage has an upper level and a lower level, and she likes the upper level better because the other piggies tend to stick to the bottome level, so I was putting food on the upper level so she could have most of it to herself, do you think there is anything wrong with the fact that she is not eating with the group? I'm just slightly worried she will never leave her hidey if I keep putting everything write in front of her nose.

So my cage has an upper level and a lower level, and she likes the upper level better because the other piggies tend to stick to the bottome level, so I was putting food on the upper level so she could have most of it to herself, do you think there is anything wrong with the fact that she is not eating with the group? I'm just slightly worried she will never leave her hidey if I keep putting everything write in front of her nose.

I strictly fed my big group in one place all together but my own loner Nerys could hang out in the living room wherever she liked during the day - usually at a distance to the others and usually tolerating as her friends only sows that would stand up to her dominance bullying; once they had passed that test, she would allow them to hang out in the hay tray with her.

While guinea pigs tend to live in small core groups in a kind of larger conglomeration, they are wired to move to their grazing grounds all together. In order to keep the bond going, keep the communal feeding going; you are working with and not against the instincts there. ;)

I strictly fed my big group in one place all together but my own loner Nerys could hang out in the living room wherever she liked during the day - usually at a distance to the others and usually tolerating as her friends only sows that would stand up to her dominance bullying; once they had passed that test, she would allow them to hang out in the hay tray with her.

While guinea pigs tend to live in small core groups in a kind of larger conglomeration, they are wired to move to their grazing grounds all together. In order to keep the bond going, keep the communal feeding going; you are working with and not against the instincts there. ;)
Cool! I will keep that in mind

Back