• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lost claw. Infection or regrowth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Archie lost a claw a while back, it then started to grow back and he pulled it out again and it didn't start growing back after that. Now I've noticed that the end of that toe is going yellow. Could that mean it's infected or could the claw be growing back? ?/

piggyme234

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of my girls broke her nail off once. It grew back yellow and bumpy like human nails do if they are damaged at the nail bed. I would keep an eye on it perhaps keep it clean with boiled water that has cooled and has a bit of salt added. If you are worried pop to the vet, better safe than sorry. Hope he is better soon.

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hmmm... I'm not sure. One of my pigs ripped a nail off by accident a few months ago, but it has never grown back. I think she must have damanged the nailbed so badly that it isn't coming back in. But it doesn't look yellow, she just has one little toe with no claw on it.

Piggyologist

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
one of ours lost a nail once and it grew back black like before. the toe was a little infected, there was visible redness and swelling.

Reaction score
Shy (garden centre piggy) has a lost claw that won't grow back but my vet said not to worry.
They think she has problems with her feet due to how she was kept :(, but she seems ok.
If you're still worried, phone your vet or pop your piggy down to see them.

Shellza

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll see if I can get a pic later, but my camera isn't all that good. His toe isn't oozing, but it has a yellow lumpy bit on the end, that doesn't really look like a claw :{ it looks a bit swollen too. It has been fine for ages, it was just a clawless toe, but when I looked the other day it was yellow and looked sore. Maybe a trip to the vets is in order just to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.