• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lots of itching and runny nose with white discharge in the eyes

Marlee and Fluffy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My Guinea pig has been itching a lot and has white discharge in her eyes, and I always see liquid in her nose, is that normal? My house is about 74-76 degrees so I’m not sure if it’s too cold for her. She also itches herself a lot and I saw her sneeze yesterday. So, my question is, is this normal and what should we do to fix this? Thank you!

74-76 is 23-25 degrees which is fine - they are most comfortable at 18-20 so your room isn’t too cold.

Excessive scratching and excessive discharge needs to be checked out by a vet.
The do have a white cleaning fluid in their eyes which is normal but any crustiness in the eyes and nasal discharge needs to be checked out by a vet. Again, the odd sneeze is fine but excessive is not.
All in all, I would have your piggy checked over by a vet, just to be sure all is well.

74-76 is 23-25 degrees which is fine - they are most comfortable at 18-20 so your room isn’t too cold.

Excessive scratching and excessive discharge needs to be checked out by a vet.
The do have a white cleaning fluid in their eyes which is normal but any crustiness in the eyes and nasal discharge needs to be checked out by a vet. Again, the odd sneeze is fine but excessive is not.
All in all, I would have your piggy checked over by a vet, just to be sure all is well.

Is it necessary to see the vet? I just feel like it‘s too risky with the Coronavirus everywhere.

Is it necessary to see the vet? I just feel like it‘s too risky with the Coronavirus everywhere.

If she has excessive scratching, discharge and sneezing then yes - we obviously can’t see how much it is happening so We can only give you the advice but we can’t tell you if your piggy is actually ill, only a vet can do that. I don’t know the whole situation of Covid in the US, but here we only hand our pets to the vet or receptionist outside the vets surgery (by putting carrier down on the ground and then stepping away) at the vets and the vet takes them in and looks at them. We aren’t allowed in, we can only stand outside or sit in our cars and wait to be called

How do I know if shes “excessively scratching?”

A few scratches a day is fine, but if it’s happening a lot at a time and more than a few times a day, or when it becomes more advanced (could be a few days) it’s accompanied by flaky skin, bald patches.

Also, now I think I know why she has a runny nose, during the night it’s about 70-71 degrees! Still don’t know why she itches herself so much though.

A few scratches a day is fine, but if it’s happening a lot at a time and more than a few times a day, or when it becomes more advanced (could be a few days) it’s accompanied by flaky skin, bald patches.

She does have a bald patch on the side of her paw, and it’s on both front paws, is that normal? I can’t recall if it was always there.

Also, now I think I know why she has a runny nose, during the night it’s about 70-71 degrees! Still don’t know why she itches herself so much though.

That likely wouldn’t cause a runny nose
If piggies have a respiratory infection they are bacterial. It could be caused by irritation from bedding or dust, but you must always rule out medical issues first
70 degrees is 21 degrees C which is still within their normal temperature range, so 70 is not too cold for a guinea pig

Ok, but then what are the possible causes for all of this? I’m very worried, and I don’t want the vet to give my piggie COVID-19

Ok, but then what are the possible causes for all of this? I’m very worried, and I don’t want the vet to give my piggie COVID-19

It could be anything - we can’t diagnose. It’s not quite straightforward, but scratching could be nothing or it could be mites. Nasal discharge could be anything from infection to just a temporary irritation. We can’t say for sure only a vet can.
However, please don’t worry, your piggies cannot catch Covid 19
COVID-19 - Worried about Covid-19 (coronavirus) transmission risk to your cavies and care during illness?

Ok, I’m pretty sure she isn’t “excessively scratching” and I haven’t seen her have a runny nose the past few days, however, the past few days I have seen her sneeze 1 time a day.

Ok, I’m pretty sure she isn’t “excessively scratching” and I haven’t seen her have a runny nose the past few days, however, the past few days I have seen her sneeze 1 time a day.

A sneeze once a day without any other symptoms isn’t a concern.
If there are other symptoms and/or she starts to lose weight through not eating enough, then she does need a vet

So today I watched Marlee closely and she has itched herself 5-6 times, I’m pretty sure that’s not excessively scratching.

No it’s possibly not excessive and if there are any other visual signs of a parasite problem such as balding or flaky skin then it may just be normal scratching but if you are worried they do need a see a vet. We can’t tell you if she has mites or not

Back