• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Loud squeaking (fighting?)

The only times I ever see affectionate behaviour from my boys is after they've had a phase of squabbling. Then Sir George will do a certain amount of power grooming on Master Boris around the cheeks and ears. Occasionally I find them sleeping near each other but this is rare. I see other signs that their bond is good though.

Truffle is still a bit insecure and reinforces his status quite a lot. Polo whimpers to him and puts up with Truffle taking his food, lying on top of the hay pile, charging across the cage at him, putting his mouth against his neck and putting his chin over Polo's muzzle. Truffle starts trying to mount him, but Polo won't allow this and rushes off, or gors into a hide and butts Truffle away with his nose. Truffle gets warm quickly, so soon they both lie down for a rest. Polo seems a bit heavier than Truffle, but seems OK with under pig status. He loves to eat and relax and is the first to come forward for food and takes the initiative venturing into new places. When I put them in the new cage, I put up a divider at first down the middle to give them a chance to regain their composure. However Polo started determinedly going about chewing the bars between them and definitely wanted to be with his little tormentor. Truffle greeted him by very gently mouthing his ear and seemed pleased to have him back. The only time they are near each other is if something frightens them, they never groom or snuggle, but perhaps that will come in due course. They seem to not be bar biting or chewing the Correx, touch wood. I put some fleece blankets up to give then extra privacy and reduce stress.

I'm glad everything is going well.
There is no issue between them so please don’t ever separate them from each other. It’s not a good idea to put a divider in a cage with a bonded pair.

The overwhelming majority of piggies will never snuggle and a lot won’t ever groom each other.
They are very different from rabbits who do tend to groom each other regularly.
The only time I saw my boars groom his cagemate was the day he passed away.

Truffle is still a bit insecure and reinforces his status quite a lot. Polo whimpers to him and puts up with Truffle taking his food, lying on top of the hay pile, charging across the cage at him, putting his mouth against his neck and putting his chin over Polo's muzzle. Truffle starts trying to mount him, but Polo won't allow this and rushes off, or gors into a hide and butts Truffle away with his nose. Truffle gets warm quickly, so soon they both lie down for a rest. Polo seems a bit heavier than Truffle, but seems OK with under pig status. He loves to eat and relax and is the first to come forward for food and takes the initiative venturing into new places. When I put them in the new cage, I put up a divider at first down the middle to give them a chance to regain their composure. However Polo started determinedly going about chewing the bars between them and definitely wanted to be with his little tormentor. Truffle greeted him by very gently mouthing his ear and seemed pleased to have him back. The only time they are near each other is if something frightens them, they never groom or snuggle, but perhaps that will come in due course. They seem to not be bar biting or chewing the Correx, touch wood. I put some fleece blankets up to give then extra privacy and reduce stress.
Cancel that remark about chewing, the Correx has a little dip in it and I have found lots of small pieces while poo picking. But I think a slide binder here and there should save the Correx!

Back