• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lump bump on throat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
We have noticed our new GP who we have had a 3-4 weeks who is now 11-14 weeks old has a large bump/lump on his throat. We noticed this a few days ago and are a little worried. He seems very happy and healthy.

Is this common, shall we get him checked?

Thanks

A lot of the time a lump under the chin is an abscess that needs to be lanced and drained- this is a common place for piggies to get lumps. A trip to the vet would definitely be in order. Hope he recovers very quickly!

As Freela said, lumps on the jaw/throat area are very common. It is also the case that lumps in this area are about as diverse as they can get in nature, there can be many causes of lumps in this area. Abscesses are very common, other explanations can include swollen lymph nodes. In any case I too would advise that the vet is consulted.

Good luck, keep us updated if you can.

Been to the vets today, first of all she checked the lump and then took Buster off out the back and checked it with a needle, then she came back and told us it was an abscess that needed to be removed.:...

As we have only had him for three weeks PAH have said they will pay the £220 cost of the op. As Buster was a replacement GP for the last one from PAH that only lasted 6 weeks:(

They have also said that once they get an abscess are prone to get them again later in life. They also said they would replace him for a different GP if we wanted and they would then be responsible for the care. This has caused a bit of a dilemma because these GP's are my kids (8 & 10) and my daughter wants to know why it is always her one that is poorly. We do not want to exchange him but this could be a happier and cheaper option in the long run. Any idea what they do with a second hand GP?

I understand your dilemma but on the other hand, you took the pig on aware that these things can happen, that pigs can get sick. There is nothing to say that the next pig you get won't have some medical condition.

I have to be completely honest and say that I would not trust PAH, some branches may be ok but it's not consistent in the chain, other branches are not suitable. Due to these inconsistencies, for me, that puts a black mark on the entire chain of PAH stores. Not fair to tar them all with the same brush, maybe, understood, but it's a chain , to me that includes the notion I would expect the same level of care as standard in every single branch. There is also the issue that you don't know where the pig will end up, whether that be before or after the treatment.

I know it is entirely your choice, and it is up to you to decide how much you trust your local branch. There's no easy answer and I do feel for you.

Regarding the abscess, this can be lanced and drained with no need for surgery, although I accept that in some cases there may be exceptions.

Last edited:
Good news I think, we got Buster and Dizzee out for a cuddle tonight and Buster's lump has completely gone:{. There does seem to be either a flappy piece of skin or more likely where the puss has come out and where his fur became wet and it has dried. Having it pierced at the vets has probably helped.

I will call the vets tomorrow to see what they think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back