• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lump On Leg, Opinions Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

skip_rat

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Dec 18, 2009
Messages
110
Reaction score
46
Points
210
Location
Blackpool
One of our older rescue piggies has developed a lump on her back leg over the last 2 weeks.

The first vet we took her to had us treat with metacalm and monitor, but the lump didn't go away and seemed to get a little larger if anything.

Last week we decided to get a second opinion. The second vet seems fairly certain the lump is a tumor and wants to operate. This could entail the removal of the leg.

I'm not sure what to do for the best. Being a rescue she's of unknown age, vets have estimated 4-6 years old. I don't want to put her through unnecessary trauma, but equally I don't want to put her to sleep.

So I'm looking to anyone with experience of this for some advice. I'm not sure how well she would cope without a back leg but am aware that her movement is fairly limited already.

Shes's such a lovely piggy too. :(
 

Elwickcavies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Joined
Apr 7, 2014
Messages
827
Reaction score
770
Points
585
Location
Hartlepool
Poor piggy. As I see it there are three options: have the op, with the risk of losing the limb or not making it through the GA; put her to sleep; give pain relief, and wait and see, with the risk that the lump keeps growing and you are back to choosing between the first two options. I haven't got any experience of how piggies cope with lost limbs, but animals are generally pretty adaptable.You know your guinea best, and if she is suffering, so you are the best person to decide what is the best thing for her. I think if the lump is growing, you probably need to do something, as it will only get worse.

Whichever way you go, you will have given it a lot of thought and done what you thought was the right thing, and that is the very best you can do for any pet.
 

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
4,474
Reaction score
1,161
Points
845
Location
Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire.
If the tumour is causing discomfort then I see the best option being amputate/remove. But this is also dependant on your feelings too. Don't let age put you off a GA, if she is well otherwise and you have a good vet, risks of aneasthesia will be lower then you think. As with three legs, they seem to cope quite well.

This really is subjective on your opinion, your piggie and how much you want to do. I would as a minimum give her some strong pain relief for now.

Sorry I'm not much help, but this really will be your own decision I cannot make for you.

x
 

skip_rat

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Dec 18, 2009
Messages
110
Reaction score
46
Points
210
Location
Blackpool
Thanks for the replies, she is booked in tomorrow as it cannot be left alone, she isn't moving around the cage very much at all now although her appetite is still good. Am I right in thinking the Metacam we have for her is a painkiller?

The plan is to try to remove the tumor but if it appears to have spread or there is no chance of a good recovery she will stop and put her to sleep.

She did have 2 or 3 lumps under her skin when we got her about 2 years ago which were successfully removed, I wonder if she is just prone to this sort of thing.
 

Elwickcavies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Joined
Apr 7, 2014
Messages
827
Reaction score
770
Points
585
Location
Hartlepool
Some pigs do get lipomas (benign fatty lumps) quite a lot. Hopefully the vet will be able to remove the lump and all will be well. Metacam is a painkiller and also an anti-inflammatory. I'm sending good vibes for the op. x
 

skip_rat

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Dec 18, 2009
Messages
110
Reaction score
46
Points
210
Location
Blackpool
Sadly we couldn't get to the vet today because of the snow. She can't see her before next week now.

She has lost use of the leg completely now and has a runny tummy. She's always had an easily upset stomach so we will try some probiotic.
 

orangeinepig

Teenage Guinea Pig
Joined
Jan 28, 2015
Messages
524
Reaction score
435
Points
475
Location
North Yorkshire,UK
Sadly we couldn't get to the vet today because of the snow. She can't see her before next week now.

She has lost use of the leg completely now and has a runny tummy. She's always had an easily upset stomach so we will try some probiotic.
I'm so sorry you couldn't get to the vets sending you good vibes
 

skip_rat

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Dec 18, 2009
Messages
110
Reaction score
46
Points
210
Location
Blackpool
I have another vet more locally if I think shes in too much distress but I wouldn't trust them with a complex operation like this. She's still eating and ive made her as comfortable as I can.

The vet I want to use did a little biopsy on the tumor last time we were there and thinks it is probably malignant. I'm not sure if this should affect my decision.
 
Last edited:

Elwickcavies

Teenage Guinea Pig
Joined
Apr 7, 2014
Messages
827
Reaction score
770
Points
585
Location
Hartlepool
If it is malignant, then I would stick to the plan and have the op with the vet you trust and see what happens. If it doesn't look to have spread and her quality of life is predicted to be good, then great, if not a dignified journey to the bridge. Either way you're doing the very best for her. Good luck with the op. I'm sending healing vibes x
 

skip_rat

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Dec 18, 2009
Messages
110
Reaction score
46
Points
210
Location
Blackpool
We got to the vet today, luckily the senior vet who we normally deal with was in. Based on the size of the lump, her age, and the fact that she had other issues we decided that the kindest thing to do was to put her to sleep.

I am very sad but I feel that this was the right thing to do in this case.
 

Pebble

Banned
Joined
Oct 12, 2009
Messages
3,030
Reaction score
1,483
Points
880
Location
Sussex
I am sorry to hear that you had to make this incredibly tough decision for your wee girlie.

Popcorn free wee lassie -knowing you were much loved.

Are we able to know her name please?
x
 

skip_rat

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Dec 18, 2009
Messages
110
Reaction score
46
Points
210
Location
Blackpool
Thanks for your messages, her name was Leyla, I'll do a little Rainbow Bridge post later. :bye:

I am sad to see her go, but happy in the knowledge that she wasn't left to suffer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top