Luna's Bald Spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoragonHinansho

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello guys! I wanted to ask for some advice for my hamster, Luna. He's a male!

Now, Luna is somewhat of a rescue hamster - I call him that anyway! I did work experience in a pet shop who wasn't selling his mammals, this guy was there ever since it opened last year which was just before Christmas I believe, I could be longer. Luna (I was told he was a girl, so excuse the girly name!) was living in a converted fish tank which only had a few shelves in! No wheel, no enrichment. I couldn't watch the little guy sit there in there to die so I brought him home with be after buying a cage for him.

I didn't have time to research into hamsters before I bought him - I just did to give him a better life than he had in the shop.

Luna is a grey haired Syrian hamster, I believe he must be at least a year old. He's had these since I got them but he appears to have some bald patches that look matter in places? Thought I'd attach some pictures for you to have a quick look!

He's a real sweetheart and just wanted to see what you thought. He's pretty fat and the poor guy doesn't understand his wheel, he was so long in that fish tank so he spends time exercising on a ball instead.

Sorry for the quality! He moves a lot!
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

A&T

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I can't be 100% but I've seen silimar to this before. I believe it's stress from lack of enrichment, and...boredom. Sometimes they can self mutilate too. I can't be sure like I said so hopefully someone else will see this soon. If it gets worse I'd say take him to the Vets just get him checked over. However you might find that it gets better now he has things to do?

Do you live far from a good vet?

A&T

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot to mention they could also be scent glands. They come and go. Normally they come when they have a new change of environment or feel asif they need to mark there territory. Normally it looks wet where they are, but it can often go bald too.

DoragonHinansho

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If you're right, it sounds like it was either boredom from the old environment or it is a scent gland; he does look wet in that area!

My vet isn't that great. I mean, it's a ROWE vets and they could barely diagnose my guinea pig correctly, and she died because something wasn't spotted in time, they diagnosed her wrong - let alone a hamster.

A&T

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If you're right, it sounds like it was either boredom from the old environment or it is a scent gland; he does look wet in that area!

My vet isn't that great. I mean, it's a ROWE vets and they could barely diagnose my guinea pig correctly, and she died because something wasn't spotted in time, they diagnosed her wrong - let alone a hamster.
Well if it looks wet in that area it's probably the scent gland! Keep an eye on it. It could be because he's just been put into a new cage and everything is new. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.