Maggots! ;___;

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Darky

So - my boys get regular cleaning, but lately I noticed flies in my usually fly-free bedroom, and I was not amused.

The only source could have been the guinea pigs - so when I last cleaned them out, I was very watchful, and in the bottom of their dirty bedding was a maggot.. ;__; Ewewew.

I got rid of the thing and gave their entire cage a complete cleaning in the bath, and I need to buy some fly paper to stick up on the wall around the cage.

Since that cleaning I've not seen a single fly in my bedroom, but I'm still very wary.

Aside from regular cleaning, can anyone think of anything else I could do to solve the problem?

Is there anything other than dirty bedding that may be causing this problem? D:

Mary

Reaction score
We had a call at the vets once that some one found maggets in the food. What had happened was that they had brought food from the pet shop that was in big bins. There was near by a tray of maggets and I think what had happened was that some one thought it was agood idea to put some maggets in with the food.

Mary

michellemuffin

Reaction score
I always always use a fly zapper, I dont chances yuk! try using trigene disenfectant its made especially for animals, and I ahev once found a moggot in some parrot food I brought ugh! as bad as slugs

D

Darky

Mary said:
We had a call at the vets once that some one found maggets in the food. What had happened was that they had brought food from the pet shop that was in big bins. There was near by a tray of maggets and I think what had happened was that some one thought it was agood idea to put some maggets in with the food.

Mary
No chance with this stuff - it's Tesco purple bag stuff.

Abnoba

Reaction score
Usually quite alot of people have this problem in summmer, flies come in through the window, its warm in the room, moist in the corner where the piggies pee, so its perfect for them to lay eggs in there...
The only thing you can really do is make sure that the wet spots are taken out daily, that the piggies dont burrow food underneath the bedding, flyscreens can help also, flyzappers are good aswell.

I heard dried lemon in your box with dry food helps against flies aswell, as they dont like citrus smells? But I dont have any experience with lemon myself...

Sometimes the maggots come with the bedding or food that you buy, but mostly it will be flies that lay eggs in the bedding in your room itself.

C

chinakit

If you have recently started using your central heating then the extra heat could be causing fly eggs to hatch more quickly. It doesn't necessarily mean your cavies bedding is dirty, as in the right conditions (ie damp and warm), the fly eggs can hatch within 12 hours. If your guinea's cage is near a radiator, I would move it, and if the room is very warm I would turn down the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.