• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Maisy is not well - I feel soo sad for her!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi - Maisy had a couple of the hormone injections a few months ago, to help reduce the ovarian cysts. These were reduced in size and she improved.

She then had side effects from the injections in that she had very soft poops......and still has.

The lovely vet then discussed with me about the various things they could do for her, like operate (but I said no, due to her feeble condition and age, (poss 5 years), more injections, or the implant, (which he researched, and has been mentioned on here before), then he suggested draining one cyst as this has proven very positive in his past experience with other piggies.

I decided to go ahead.

Maisy had 60mls drained from her right cyst about the beginning of November and to date (as at 2 weeks ago), the cyst has remained virtually tiny, (other cyst has stayed small, but no draining attempted on that yet). Vet said there maybe another 100mls fluid in the one they've taken some fluid from.

So, all in all, she's done very well. He said her womb felt thick and wasn't sure what may be going on. She had Metacam 1.25ml once a day for about 3 weeks, but not had any since the beginning of January.

She will eat the Wagg Crunch and drink often.........I will have both her and Dotty out on the lounge floor and Maisy quite happily runs along and play.

Only thing is that I can't get any hay into her...........her poo is soft in that it messes up the fleece in parts, I'm changing the area where they sit (under the log thingy) x3 daily only because of it being wet and soiled and sometimes she sits and wees/poops and gets in a mess.

I love her to bits and see her little face look up at me when I pop my head over the ball pit and her mouth pops open and she makes me want to cry.

Her weight was hovering on the 1100g mark (used to be 1500 las summer, when she was well), but the last two days it's about 1040g.

Please can anyone help, I don't know what else to do..................tried the critical care, which she loves, but doesn't want it few days running.

Maybe I should try the Metacam again, as vet said I will know if she is poorly, as her weight might drop...........yet she doesn't seem in pain. She sounds slightly snuffly, but as soon as I sit down with her, it goes.

I'm really worried about her and would just be grateful for some guidance.

Booked appointment with Vet for this Friday eve.

Thanks lovelies.

Beth XX

Last edited:

flips

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi Beth,
I'm sorry to hear that Maisy is poorly. I would be tempted to give her some metacam simply because guinea pigs hide pain so well.
Sending lots of get well wishes and kisses for Maisy. xx>>>

Reaction score
Hiya lovely and thanks for your advice. :)

I went home lunch time, wiped her tummy as she was a little wet, hadn't pooped much, but what I saw was not so soft as yesterday, but I've not given her any veg since saturday, (thinking it might be making her poop worse................any ideas?). I don't like her not having any veg, but I just take her out and cwtch her or put her on floor, whilst Dotty eats her veg.

I gave her 0.1ml (from the very little narrow syringe) of Metacam at 1.15pm, so hopefully, she may improve in a day or so.

She was on that dose the last time she had it and was brill on it.

Why don't they feel like hay then when they are off colour?

She would wolf the veg down mind if I give it to her, but I wanted to see if the poop would get a bit harder and formed.

Her tummy and back knees look a little bald, where she's been sitting, though she isn't inactive, just slower.

I'm trying to think of anything else that I should report, but can't at the mo.

I'm open to all comments, just happy for advice. Thanks.

Beth xx

flips

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I would have done the same if her poops were soft as veg can make it worse. It is very worrying that she's not eating hay though. I wonder if her mouth is sore or a problem with her teeth. Is she not wanting to try it at all? Or is she picking it up and then putting it down because she can't manage it?

Reaction score
She has nibbled a few strands when I've placed a handful just inside the flexible log hideaway that they love, but no inclination really. A few times last week, she jumped in the litter tray, which has the hay in and was munching for a short while, but not for long.

Her teeth were checked 2 weeks ago, the best the vet could do, because they wriggle so much, (he said they seemed fine). I would anticipate that maybe long term, she may have dental probs, as she tends to wriggle the crunch around, chews it and then it's gone, same with some of the veg too, but she does eat the veg and I feel so awful not letting her have it at the mo.

I weighed her this morning and she's gained a little, now 1041g. Was 1026g yesterday and her highest was about 5g short of 1100g last week. She was 1074g on Saturday.

I want to give it a complete week before giving her some veg, just to make sure. Also, the same as Daisy, Maisy seems to know that she's having TLC, it's quite strange compared to when they are well. As with Dotty, because she is well, she knows cuddles as cuddles, but Maisy seems to know it's a bit extra because she is poorly.........does that make sense?

I gave her a dose of Metacam at 7.30am today, just the 0.1ml. Fingers crossed, she should pick up a bit now, because she did this last time. Should I give her another dose at 7.30 tonight, rather than leave it til tomorrow morning?

Thanks in advance to all/any advice and sorry to have bored anyone. xx

Beth xx

Last edited:

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Best wishes for poorly Maisie! I hope that she can pick up again. You are doing all you can for her.

I would wait with a second metacam dose for about 12 hours after the first one. It builds up.

Reaction score
Thanks both. :)

I went home lunch time and she seemed ok. Tends to be a little sore when picking her up sometimes, not always though. I soaked her front paws in some warm water.........aww bless her, she just stands there with just the front paws in and looks around, lol. She seems to gather poo on the pads and if not spotted, can become hard. She's had this pododermititis too, but the vet is keeping an eye on the faint red patch.

She's very alert though, but I feel she should be eating the hay. Couldn't see any signs of soft poop, or hardly anything really. She's drinking lots, sounds snuffly, but then it stops. Any ideas why that could be........?

I'm removing the paper, which I've had to put on top of the fleece lately, due to it being soiled too much, so it's easier to remove a few sheets of that, than clean the whole thing. They're cosys are washed every 2 days, especially when they become damp.

Do you think her condition, is a combination of getting older, together with the ovarian cysts not helping either? I don't know why she won't eat the hay...........?

I don't think I can give critical care for too many days, can I?

Anything else I could do to help Maisy, please?

Reaction score
Maisy had her second dose 7.30pm last night and again at 7.30am today. Before we went to bed last night, I had her on my lap for an hour, quite awake, fidgeting about, cleaning herself, then napping. When I popped her back in the ball pit, the next time I looked, she was in the hay! :)) I called my hubby and said, look at her now, lol.

Poops are slightly better formed, but semi soft/hard (sorry, find it hard to describe, lol). Not many of them though. Just need her to eat more hay.

She certainly seems to have picked up a little since giving the Metacam. It's only 0.1ml though, but we are seeing the vet tomorrow eve, so will see what he suggests about whether to increase it or not.

I dunno, just don't know what else I can do to improve things further........

flips

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That's great news. Well done Maisy. I would continue with the metacam until you see the vet tomorrow and than see what he says. You're doing a fab job Beth. xx>>>

Reaction score
Thank you.

Meant to say earlier that I weighed her this morning and she has gained weight from 1036 to hovering just on 1060g.

She was just sat in the cosy lunch time though, face facing inward, but I got her out, let her loose on the lounge floor, (both her and Dotty always go up to the radiator and behind the one chair where it's warm), she just sat there, which they do often, but when I went to pick her up before I had to come back to work, she ran away lol.

She sounds snuffly, but as soon as I sit down for a while with her, it goes within minutes...........no idea why though...?

Status
Not open for further replies.