Making beds of hay

Denflo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
It seems that any kind of hay I feed Max and Oreo, they pull from the holder, eat some, and throw a lot on the bottom of the cage. I've tried different ones, but they do the same thing all the time. Help, I'm going broke from hay!

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It seems that any kind of hay I feed Max and Oreo, they pull from the holder, eat some, and throw a lot on the bottom of the cage. I've tried different ones, but they do the same thing all the time. Help, I'm going broke from hay!
I used hay racks until more of it ended up outside the rack then in it😂

I’d personally just put a nice big pile on the floor of their cage perhaps in a littertray or cardboard box to keep it all in one area. They like to bury in it you’ll find also

anyar.dris

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Piggies love lying, peeing ang pooping on their hay and then eat it. They also like to burrow. That's why I always have selections of hay for them. Meadow hay (as it's the cheapest) on the floor and then timothy and orchard hay on the racks. Maybe you can do the same thing. My piggies have loads of hay wherever they look and go to, to make sure they are eating it.

20201013_124252.jpg20201116_135020.jpg

anyar.dris

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
My piggies have deep, plastic hay trays full of cheaper meadow hay and then hay bags with the special stuff.
But the reality is I throw away a lot of hay, and apart from vets bills it is most definitely my biggest piggy related expense!
This is true! I do throw hay everyday that are wet and loads of poo. Thankfully, they do eat loads of what I put for them.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Yes this is entirely normal and hay waste is part and parcel! They want to forage through hay which is why they pull some out, to find the nice bits, they won’t eat it all and you will throw a lot away.
Mine are fully bedded on hay, I don’t use racks at all now and they love it - they love being able to get in and play in hay as well as eat it. The biggest proportion of my monthly spend is hay!

Hath

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I buy bale of meadow hay from country store and use it in big cat litter trays/boxes. They get Hay Box Timothy hay as feeding hay, but it's not the best to put in a hay rack (it has lots of long stalks). I just place that in their feeding area. They waste very little of the Timothy hay.

My boys will eat the meadow hay sometimes, especially if it's fresh. They sleep in it, toilet in it...
Neither of mine ever burrowed in it, tho! Even the two in a piggie shed just sleep on top whatever huge pile I give them! :flag:
So you'll be wasting a lot of hay. There's no way around it as it's important they get constant access to it.

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
I’m lucky in that mine love meadow hay more than any other type.
They have piles of hay all over the cage floor.
Micah loves hay diving and can often be found asleep in the hay.
They use is for eating, sleeping and playing in.
Yes - a lot of it ends up in the waste

Mikatelyn

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Based on your info, I think you are in Florida? You might want to try Tractor Supply Company. I found big bales of hay that were a lot cheaper than getting it at petsmart or walmart. You just have to be a bit careful that the hay is intended for small animals and not horses. Apparently the quality is different.

Denflo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I used hay racks until more of it ended up outside the rack then in it😂

I’d personally just put a nice big pile on the floor of their cage perhaps in a littertray or cardboard box to keep it all in one area. They like to bury in it you’ll find also
Thank you. I appreciate the info and might just try to do that.

Denflo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Piggies love lying, peeing ang pooping on their hay and then eat it. They also like to burrow. That's why I always have selections of hay for them. Meadow hay (as it's the cheapest) on the floor and then timothy and orchard hay on the racks. Maybe you can do the same thing. My piggies have loads of hay wherever they look and go to, to make sure they are eating it.

View attachment 158619View attachment 158620
You have such a nice set-up there. Thanks for answering my question.