• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Male neuter photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maxthepig

I thought some of you might be interested in seeing the tiny incision left after a male neuter.
These were taken a couple of days post op.

Sorry they are not very clear, but I hope you get the idea.

m14.jpg

m13.jpg

All Max's fur has grown back now.

Thanks Mandy, that's interesting

Does Max know you're showing his bits off to the world? ;D

Kathryn x

Great pic, embarrassing for Max...but great pic ;D

Might have to ask if I can borrow it for my site until I take one of my own... next time I get a boar neutered ;)
I'm hopeless for taking pics and never get the camera out if I can help it ::)

Barbara

He said he didnt mind as long as the photos were used for educational purposes and I didnt show his face :D

You're welcome to use them Barbara, I think you can take them off here, but if not I can e-mail you.

maxthepig said:
He said he didnt mind as long as the photos were used for educational purposes and I didnt show his face :D

You're welcome to use them Barbara, I think you can take them off here, but if not I can e-mail you.

Thank you, I will probably do that next weekend, but wouldn't do so without letting you know!
I would of course give credit to you for the pic, but we will protect the identity of Max. He can be known as guinea pig "X" Bless him!

Barbara

Thats amazing,a really small scar-cosidering how large their 'bits' are .Hope you dont mind me asking- how much does the op cost ? i daresay it varies everywhere but it would give me some idea-thanks
Kay

hi
It costs £31 at my vets in nottingham, although I do believe that is quite a good deal, so do shop around a bit :)

If you post where you live, perhaps someone could reccomend a good and cheap vets?

Interesting, I've never had one done with only a single incision. The location varies - partly depending on how far decended the testicles are I think, younger piggies tend to have them higher up.
I've had a few rabbits done with only one incision though.

I'm hoping that you can clear s.thing up for me.

After reading another forum I understood that neutering carries a lot of risks op wise for a boar.
Is this true?

Also - from the same forum I understood that neutered boars might still get urges and do humping when placed with sows
Is this true as well?

Sorry if I have got it all wrong, but as I am about to get a baby boy, I am very interested in this topic

Billies Mum said:
I'm hoping that you can clear s.thing up for me.

After reading another forum I understood that neutering carries a lot of risks op wise for a boar.
Is this true?

Also - from the same forum I understood that neutered boars might still get urges and do humping when placed with sows
Is this true as well?

Sorry if I have got it all wrong, but as I am about to get a baby boy, I am very interested in this topic

I'm not the one who had Albie (Max) neutered but all anaesthetics have risks.
As for the humping, Albie isn't doing it or i haven't seen him he just brrrrs a lot, that's not to say that all boys are the same, there will be some people who's neutered boys will have humped ;D

I guess where I'm coming from is, if you get a boar neutered so he can go in with sows, but then he still feels "urges" and engages in humping... then is it mean to put him through that?

I wouldnt say its cruel. My Marvin popcorns everytime a new girl enters the cage, and then goes after them.
Chases, mounts, humps, popcorns.. whole cycle again and again.

I dont think he actually realises he is neutered, we had him done quite young... He behaves like a normal boar, does his dance, does the mounting...

all operations with anaesthetics are risky for piggies, but I think its worth it considering how happy boars are with a little harem of girls, which they otherwise couldnt have (because we dont want the babies)

Abnoba said:
I wouldnt say its cruel. My Marvin popcorns everytime a new girl enters the cage, and then goes after them.
Chases, mounts, humps, popcorns.. whole cycle again and again.

I dont think he actually realises he is neutered, we had him done quite young... He behaves like a normal boar, does his dance, does the mounting...

all operations with anaesthetics are risky for piggies, but I think its worth it considering how happy boars are with a little harem of girls, which they otherwise couldnt have (because we dont want the babies)

Oh bless him! ;D
Do the girlies ignore him like Maddie & Lottie ignore Albie? the look on Maddie's face, especially, is a picture :D

they try to nip him away, or just run faster than him ;D

Only Milka lets him mount her sometimes - but then, shes the only one who already knows what he wants... she has already had babies. My other piggies are all virgins 0:)

I dont know what the risks are in statistics terms, but I defiently think it is worth it- otherwise you have to hope they'll accept a younger boar, or they face a life alone. If you're worried, shop around and find a vet experienced in neutering pigs (Mine vets do loads of them.)

You honestly wouldnt have known Max (Albie) had had anything done- he was completely normal!

This is also an interesting subject for me, I currently have 3 boars living alone and was concidering neutering 2 maybe all 3 of them. Would they live together in a big pen ok with girls after the probation period or would there still be fighting?

SkinnyLover said:
This is also an interesting subject for me, I currently have 3 boars living alone and was concidering neutering 2 maybe all 3 of them. Would they live together in a big pen ok with girls after the probation period or would there still be fighting?

I believe you can only keep one boar per group of girls or they'll still fight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back