• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mange? (pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Pretty sure moo has mites =/ How could this have happened when we haven't introduced any new piggies in almost a year nor have we even been to a pet store? Her skin where the.. wound is, is flaky and the hair around it peels off with the clump of hair if you disturb it.

100_1112.jpg

100_1111.jpg

100_1110.jpg

kinda hard to see in the pictures... From what I read on google Mange in guinea pigs isn't transferable to humans or Dogs/Cats, is this information correct? Also apparently ivermectin isn't available at least under that name here in Canada, but it says Mectizan is the same thing different name. Where in a store would this be found? like the human pharmacy part or is it a pet thing? I also ready you can use something called spot on?

Do we have to treat all the guinea pigs if moo is the only one showing signs and we moved her off on her own?

You will need to treat all the guinea pigs if she had been in contact with them as well as giving their cage / hutch a real good disinfectant. Can you take her to the vets?

If the hair around the area is easy to pull out with a slightly tug that its most likely fungal

Unfortunately I have been out of a job for a few months now and I can't really afford to take her to the vet at this moment so hoping we can just treat it ourselves.

Well if its Fungal or Mange you can go to www.gorgeousguineas.com and look at the products that they sell to help guinea pigs with these problems. There is also an identification page to help you see what it could be.

Looking, I think it may be fungal - is the skin warm to touch?

hmm I didn't actually touch the skin I was worried that it was contagious. the pictures I have seen of mange are hard to see details. the skin is very flaky and it just appeared pretty much over night this is the second day and its gotten a lot larger. the fur around it comes out in clumps with the skin still attached. I haven't noticed her scratching it at all.

Edit: also the area where the wound is, is completely free of hair. The pictures I have seen of mange it looks like the wound still has some hair on it, but I was wondering if maybe thats cause they were left for a while so the hair was growing back in some places.

Last edited:
It does sound more like Fungus than mange.. We have had fungal infections before but they were always on the face. It looks different than the fungal infections we have had to me, but the other guinea pigs that had it were all dark in color and it was on their faces... We already tried putting the cream we usually use for fungal infections on her once... Does anyone have any clearer pictures of mange on guinea pigs? Also if someone could give me some better pictures of fungal infections on backs instead of faces I would really appreciate it.

Edit: Ah gorgeous guineas says mange won't make hair fall out like her's is... So I think I will try treating it like we did with their faces I have nizoral I think I will wash her in that because that will get all the dead skin off so we can see better what we are dealing with.

Last edited:
hi, it could be fungal but could it be a burst abcess, or one coming up?

anyway I would say it looks fungal to me, and yes like gorgeous guineas says, fungal hair shafts pull out easily and take some of the dead skin with them,
mange causes hair to break off half way down the shaft.

edit: from what I know, mange is caused by a low immune system and/or stress.

Last edited:
Maybe it is Fungal then. Gorgeous Guineas do shampoos and melts to help with Fungal infections.

They reccommend the coconeem melt with the Manuka & Neem shampoo

Or a antifungal shampoo - Yeah like Nizoral

anyway I would say it looks fungal to me, and yes like gorgeous guineas says, fungal hair shafts pull out easily and take some of the dead skin with them,

We wonder if it was a wound at first as well but like... it has those flakey's kinda like dandruff all over it. Also its spreading, a wound wouldn't keep getting larger like it is. It does have a break in her skin nearest to her bum but I would say thats mostly because the skin is dry.

Could for sure be stress we have moved in the last month, Also my mom was messing around with the groupings of the guinea pigs cause our Abyssinian Abby was eating our Texel and Peruvian guinea pigs hair D: Moo is quite attached to our texel Mocha and they were apart for a while so that could have caused her to be stressed.

What causes Fungus then?

blah I have to wait till my mom gets up to wash her cause I dunno where the rubber gloves are </3

i had a guinea with hair loss

does it look lie this?
piggles014.jpg

close up not as clear
piggles015.jpg

is she biting it?

i took this one to the vets and was told it was mites, you have to treat all piggies living with the infected one even if they show no signs. and it can be caused by stress.

i had a guinea with hair loss

does it look lie this?
piggles014.jpg

close up not as clear
piggles015.jpg

is she biting it?

i took this one to the vets and was told it was mites, you have to treat all piggies living with the infected one even if they show no signs. and it can be caused by stress.

Nope the spot where there is hairloss is completely void of hair. And the hair around it comes out when you pull it even lightly.

ok it did lose the hair this was a few days before i took her to the vet. also the hair around the edges came out usually helped along by her friends pulling it.

i would treat for mites it cant hurt. it took 3 treatments and a bath at the end to clear it up and make her feel normal again

ok it did lose the hair this was a few days before i took her to the vet. also the hair around the edges came out usually helped along by her friends pulling it.

i would treat for mites it cant hurt. it took 3 treatments and a bath at the end to clear it up and make her feel normal again

gorgeous guineas says mange doesn't make the hair fall out in clumps with skin attached to it though.

Its looking a lot better and she seems happier so hopefully its just fungal like it seems to be. Her hair has stopped falling out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back