• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Massive Rescue Effort In Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot believe this! Look at her disgusting attitude saying she will leave them to starve or release them. How could she do that? Those poor sweet animals. :(

They already had 75 in their care so have gone to over 200. Jeremy is such a nice man and thankfully seems to have a good team with him but this is such a challenge for anyone.

I have shared on Wiebke's Tribe facebook page. Situations like these can overwhelm and sink a single private rescue, and there are sadly huge distances and fewer rescues in the US. Many are doing a smashing job. :(

I am keeping my fingers firmly crossed that at least the piggies are not in too bad a state and not too badly inbred, seeing that the genders were not kept separated and the people had no idea just how many piggies they had.
:help:

It sounds like there are quite a lot of potential pregnancies Wiebke :( Florida as well, being a 'corner' state, isn't even in the central with the travel possibilities. I am worried about the outcome and how many more there will be when babies arrive :-(

So am I. Even with an average of three surviving babies per pregnant sow, numbers can just explode. You get about 100 babies or more from an intake of ca. 30 pregnant sows. This can easily double the enormous number they are already dealing with! :mal:

I cannot believe this! Look at her disgusting attitude saying she will leave them to starve or release them. How could she do that? Those poor sweet animals. :(
I couldn't find that in the video or the writing.
How sickening. ><

~~

Those poor piggies. I hope the rescue is able to find them homes.

What they mentioned about cats and dogs sadly does upset me sometimes too. I watch rescue shows and when other animals other than cats and dogs (dogs being the main, second cats) and horses are shown they still focus on teh cat/dog/horse rather than the monkey/llama/guineapig/bird/rabbit story.

I couldn't find that in the video or the writing.
How sickening. ><

~~

Those poor piggies. I hope the rescue is able to find them homes.

What they mentioned about cats and dogs sadly does upset me sometimes too. I watch rescue shows and when other animals other than cats and dogs (dogs being the main, second cats) and horses are shown they still focus on teh cat/dog/horse rather than the monkey/llama/guineapig/bird/rabbit story.
There seems to be two videos. There is one video before the one interviewing the man were a newsreader reads the person said she will release or starve them. I have noticed that in rescue programes they do focus more on cats and dogs too.

There seems to be two videos. There is one video before the one interviewing the man were a newsreader reads the person said she will release or starve them. I have noticed that in rescue programes they do focus more on cats and dogs too.
OH thank you. I only saw one of them and missed that one. Horrible, horrible person. ><
Yeah they do, it annoys me. I want to watch about ALL animals being saved. Cats and dogs are lovely but they are just a small percentage. It's not fair to focus on the most popular animal.

Aww that's us so sad. What a guy he is though for rescuing them all!

Has anyone ever donated to rescues using their Amazon wish list? I have looked on the Crazy Cavies website to make a donation and it takes you through to amazon. I haven't used wish lists before!

They have said that if you wish to purchase a specific item, you can always message them for their postal address to get it delivered. They are inundated with messages of people sending foster requests and wanting to help which is great :)

I was looking at their facebook page last night https://www.facebook.com/Crazycavies

The hoarding situation was worse than we thought. There was a total of 138 piggies, way more then 80 we were told about.They were all housed in cages that were way to small and mixed sexes in the cages. As a result many of the females are pregnant and lots of pigges have major fight wounds or scabs.

Can't imagine the space that you would need to house all of the guinea pigs plus any of the babies.

omg :( thats horrific.
I watched this the other day and that was bad enough, I was crying my eyes out.

you know what they say though, think of the worst things you can imagine, & know theres always someone out there doing worse.
Poor babies.

Edit:
Feel like i should add a follow up video just so people don't feel as upset as i did. This made me feel better.

I would really like to know how people get themselves in to these situations with hoarding animals. Does it start out as well intentioned "rescues" and end up in an uncontrolled situation?
Its for reasons like this that I try really hard never to say to people "oh go on I'm sure you can adopt him/her and find space" etc I would never want to encourage someone to over commit themselves.
Since my pig-count went back up to 6 with the arrival of the Naughty School Boys ;) I have been offered two more unwanted (single) piggies one by a work mate and one by a friend, and had to turn them both down as I dont want to get in a situation where I cant properly care for everyone or give them the right space :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back