• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

max and scratching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
max is 14 and is generally fit and well, he keeps scratching and its driving us mad as he has had every thing dsone for him, piriton tabs as suggested by vet for allergic reaction to grass seeds and flea collar ( did'nt like the smell so only used for a week) and flea drops he has not got any fleas on him at all and we are now wondering if it could be a neurological thing to do with losing his brother Charlie in July any ideas might give him a shower this weekend as a last resort ?

A shower might be good,to see if it makes a difference.If it doesn't,have you taken him to the vets? ?

yes vet suggested piriton as he use to have an allergy to grass when young but my sis in law who was a vet nurse has said she thinks its his food since charlie died we have given him different food as he would'nt eat, so am now trying him back on his light diet he use to have dont know why I did'nt think of it before, fingers crossed it works, will put off a shower as its cold today

Thats great.Yes it was cold today!Heh :) Glad you are getting somewhere.Good luck! :D

Amy :)

My do just got clipped and he's scratching/licking his feet and rubbing his bum along the carpet. He got cut too close in.
We thought he had an allergy to grass but it's went away after the summer

michellemuffin said:
max is 14 and is generally fit and well, he keeps scratching and its driving us mad as he has had every thing dsone for him, piriton tabs as suggested by vet for allergic reaction to grass seeds and flea collar ( did'nt like the smell so only used for a week) and flea drops he has not got any fleas on him at all and we are now wondering if it could be a neurological thing to do with losing his brother Charlie in July any ideas might give him a shower this weekend as a last resort ?

My Dylan scratches & nibbles at his back, our vet said it was fleas but it isn't.  I bathed him yesterday but he's still doing it & what you say about it being neurological has me thinking because Dylan is epileptic.

michellemuffin said:
my sis in law who was a vet nurse has said she thinks its his food since charlie died we have given him different food as he would'nt eat, so am now trying him back on his light diet he use to have dont know why I did'nt think of it before, fingers crossed it works, will put off a shower as its cold today

It sounds as though it is very likely that, hope he is soon back to normal. I don't know what you feed but NatureDiet is very good for dogs with sensitive skin and digestion. There are various varieties including "Sensitive" and "Light."

am giving him light chicken and rice by jolleys if that fails then its turkey kibble he is still so fussy since charlie died he has no need to rush his dinner with no competition from charlie,
he wont eat hard chews any more likes the soft bendy ones now, well he is getting old at 14 or maybe I'm spoiling him , would any of the bach rescue remedys work do you think? Barbara

michellemuffin said:
am giving him light chicken and rice by jolleys if that fails then its turkey kibble he is still so fussy since charlie died he has no need to rush his dinner with no competition from charlie,
he wont eat hard chews any more likes the soft bendy ones now, well he is getting old at 14 or maybe I'm spoiling him , would any of the bach rescue remedys work do you think? Barbara

As you'll discover when you read the book ;)

It's important that we look at the animals emotional and mental state when we "prescribe" the remedies. So, you'll need to ask yourself what issue, event etc may be linked to Max starting to scratch...if anything. Then try and select the right flower remedy.
You mention that you think it might be linked to losing his brother?
In that case Star of Bethlehem could help, to assist him to cope with the loss. Crab Apple is an option too and Cherry Plum if he seems to be scratching obsessively without cause and unable to stop.

Of course if it is a food allergy, you'll need to look closely at his diet. I would stop giving any processed treats/chews for a few weeks and see how he goes. You can buy hypoallergenic dog biscuits, or crisp up some chicken/turkey in the oven until it is dry for him :)
just ideas!

Good luck,
Barbara

Have you put your central heating on recently? My Blackie used to start scratching when the heating went on for a while.

We had Dylan to the vet yesterday for his epilepsy reporting on & to get more pills.

The vet gave us Seleen Shampoo to bath him with after agreeing it wasn't fleas!
What flea leaves dandruff behind? They do get me mad

How's Max today, Michelle? Any change with his scratching?

yes its not as bad since i changed his food back to light food he ignored the food for the first day but I persisited and the enxt day he ate the lot, he is definalty not scratching so much so fingers crossed, I have got some seleen for my pigs it used to be used years ago and lots of breeders used it but have not used it at all for about 3 years i use GG now, but if it starts again might just use that, and Barbara will try to find them remedys you said would help max for his emotional state, finding the book very interesting,

michellemuffin said:
yes its not as bad since i changed his food back to light food he ignored the food for the first day but I persisited and the enxt day he ate the lot, he is definalty not scratching so much so fingers crossed, I have got some seleen for my pigs it used to be used years ago and lots of breeders used it but have not used it at all for about 3 years i use GG now, but if it starts again might just use that, and Barbara will try to find them remedys you said would help max for his emotional state, finding the book very interesting,

That's great news Michelle, i hope he continues to improve :)

James Wellbeloved do an excellent range of both dog and cat food for allergies, also dog biscuits and chews that are yellow in colour can cause problems hope Max continues to improve

max has improved quite a bit thank goodness, but insisits on having a good old scratch at bedtime and he sleeps on the floor next to hubby lol thats my boy

100_2434.jpg

this is my darling max as you can see he is getting on a bit now (14) but still a precious little man to his mummy

Hi i dont know if this will help but have you tried tea tree shampoo or cream as its suppose to sooth the skin, we used it at the dog parlour i worked at ,when a dog came in and their skin looked in flammed, it seems to give a little relief. He is lovely bless him.

michellemuffin said:
max has improved quite a bit thank goodness, but insisits on having a good old scratch at bedtime and he sleeps on the floor next to hubby lol thats my boy

100_2434.jpg

this is my darling max as you can see he is getting on a bit now (14) but still a precious little man to his mummy

What a beautiful face he has Michelle :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back