• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Meadow/green hay advice please

All my guineas have done well on the Natures Own meadow hay. Rusty needed something rougher to wear his overgrown teeth which came about because he was very ill in January and was syringe fed for weeks. Soft syringe feed doesn't wear their teeth down, I don't think he would have had the tooth problem on meadow hay otherwise. The biggest deciding factor on what hay you buy is whether your piggies like it.

All the piggies here absolutely love the sweet green hay. I use it in addition to normal meadow hay bales but I'm struggling to get them since the pandemic started and hay is costing me an arm and a leg. Although the piggies will munch the expensive timothy hay they definately prefer the softer stuff and it makes me a bit anxious about hay pokes using such stalky stuff. Thanks for sharing piggieminder as I'll definately try the N.O Meadow hay now and see if I can save a few pennies. Plus they are bringing in a new rescue donation thing which the rescue I foster for are hoping to sign up for so will be great if I can help that way too.

@amy104 if you normally order the green meadow I would order a bag of the ordinary at the same time to try it. It does have thick, long stalks in some batches, I think it is thistle stems. I always check each handful of hay as I put it in the cage and remove them.
With stalky timothy hay I lay it flat on the floor of the cage and go back 10 minutes later and remove any that is left, they hardly ever leave any but I too fear hay pokes.
I'm feeding Hay Box meadow at the moment as well as their timothy, it's lovely and they are eating loads of it, thought it would be easier to get all my hay from one place but this is 3 x the price so I'm not sure I'll keep this as a permanent arrangement!

Back