1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages

Discussion in 'Housing and Enrichment' started by daftscotslass, Aug 13, 2010.

1. EmmaE

EmmaE Junior Guinea Pig

I'm just starting with fleece, but others recommend towel under, with a waterproof layer like correx or plastic sheeting under that. I'll be using extra pads in high litter areas too

2. lisablue

lisablue Junior Guinea Pig

Thanks for you info, might give it a go.

3. EmmaE

EmmaE Junior Guinea Pig

Los of threads and advice on this forum :)

lisablue and oxtinamona like this.
  4. oxtinamona

oxtinamona Junior Guinea Pig

I made waterproof cage liners which work brilliantly as they are mega quick to change. Used puppy pads before, with fleece blanket which was clipped with bulldog clips around the edges of the correx so they couldn't burrow and chew on puppy pads x

lisablue likes this.
  5. EmmaE

EmmaE Junior Guinea Pig

6. oxtinamona

I
    made them from fleece for top layer, then
    For middle absorbent layer I used mattress cheap protector and the bottom waterproof layer I got some terry towel waterproof mattress protector.
    I was going to use Zorb which is AMAZEBALLS but after Brexit price went up a lot and I decided it's too much to make legends cage liner as I'd definitely go bankrupt hahaha. The terry towel and mattress protector works really well and I also made loads of smaller 'pee pads' which I placed is strategic 'piggy pee spots ' and change them when needed. For newest batch of these I used zorb in the middle instead of mattres protecto and OMG it's totally amazing. No wetness and I actually can't smell anything and I have nose like bloodhound. Some of my pigs are
    Toilet trained so they have their smaller pads replaced every 3 days or more If they're particularly well behaved toilet wise but one of my couples is rather messy and they pee on why piece of fleece cosy and tunnel etc and these pads underneath with zorb last 2 days then I replace with clean one :) x

lisablue and EmmaE like this.
  7. EmmaE

EmmaE Junior Guinea Pig

Oh no... I think I got the wrong grids... Mine have 8 holes. I've just read that that would be potentially dangerous. Should I just make the correx liner taller, or return them? I'm making a bottom layer, so they'd be ok there. I've also ordered the solid panels for the back and hay areas, so it would just be the front they would have access to.

8. oxtinamona

Oh no :(

I think I'd be returning them. Better be safe than sorry, you don't want them to get trapped/stuck in one of them holes I suppose you could make correx taller but pigs can stand up and reach quite high up... I know that people say pigs don't jump very high but I've seen loads of videos proving different plus my Ginger jumped out of a large and tall ( at least 2 foot high) box as I think she got spooked...

Effectively it's your call... perhaps you could double the grids so they overlap and fill the extra gaps/spaces ?

EmmaE likes this.
  9. EmmaE

EmmaE Junior Guinea Pig

Finally got it built! 2x4 with 1x2 loft. I'd not planned for a loft originally but ended up with enough panels so added one on. Unfortunately I'd already cut the correx to make a hay section, so that bit is now s little hard to reach. I think I might need to find some way of hinging the end to get at it.
    Need to get the fleece cut to size yet, but the boys are pretty happy! They've been zooming up and down the ramp.
    DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0010.JPG

GPcrazy, MrsMoo, eileen and 1 other person like this.
  10. GinaG

GinaG Junior Guinea Pig

Wow I love this! So do you have their hay litter tray and food upstairs? Gorgeous piggies

11. EmmaE

EmmaE Junior Guinea Pig

Yes, currently their food, hay and litter tray (which they seem to prefer as a bed!) are upstairs.

12. oxtinamona

Looks wonderful ! :)
    Try zip ties and they do good job as hinges xx

EmmaE likes this.
  13. Flutterby

Forum Donator 2016/17

Looks great!

EmmaE likes this.
  14. EmmaE

EmmaE Junior Guinea Pig

I've used zip ties to hinge the tops, not thought about them at the side! How would you secure it so you can use as a 'door' without them escaping?

15. oxtinamona

IMG_2657.JPG IMG_2659.JPG IMG_2658.JPG We made door to middle cage which cannot be access from the top using cable ties as ' door hinge equivalent '.
    We also used 2 thin wood planks (approx same length as 2 grids) and we attached two grids to the wood plan using brackets.
    We use bulldog clips to secure the door in place in case princessess decide to explore :)
    I added pictures as it'll probably make more sense than my gibber jabber

EmmaE likes this.
  16. EmmaE

EmmaE Junior Guinea Pig

Binder clips sound good. Not sure it'll work on mine, as its the solid panel I need to hinge. I might just have to tie with string or ribbon, but thank you for replying.

17. oxtinamona

Oh i didn't realise what part of your cage you want to put your 'fake hinge / door on.
    Maybe cut out/pierce little holes and use a bit of wire... we actually bought really thick wired cable ties, but reusable ones. I think they are were from wilco. They can be undone and done back again so maybe this could work? AND they come in different colours :)

eileen and EmmaE like this.
  18. EmmaE

EmmaE Junior Guinea Pig

Reusable cable ties? That's genius! Especially if they come in multicolours. I can see what I'm doing today! Thank you

19. oxtinamona

Yup, they're much thicker and not plastic but A wire covered in kinda rubbery 'sleeve'
    I'll try to find picture online. We got them ages ago, my partner said he's almost sure he got them from wilco :)

EmmaE likes this.
  20. oxtinamona

IMG_2662.PNG
    Had a good yup look seems they don't have them bendy rubber ones but they now have Velcro ones! Which is even better !

Critter, eileen and EmmaE like this.