• Winter is here! Make sure you piggies are safe by taking action now, for more information on cold weather protection - Click Here
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Member Gallery: C&C cages/homemade cages

Sandy33

Junior Guinea Pig
I got my first set of grids by dismantling a cube storage rack that nobody was using anyway (lol) just to get an idea of what a cage would look like. Then I got another package of grids from Home Depot for the floor and lid. Then I got another package from WalMart for the stand. (I bought another package from Walmart for a pen for freetime and for outside time in the summer)

It's a 2X4 cage (it's 28" by 56", to be exact)

It houses two 3-month-old girls

It's been in use for less than a week, but I'm already finding it easy to clean. I bought a hand vacuum along with a couple of hand brooms, and the hand vac is AWESOME. It scares the poo out of the pigs, so I try to vacuum the cage while the pigs are on free-time. Sometimes while using the hand broom, poo flicks around and refuses to cooperate. Thus why the vacuum is so AWESOME. The broom probably works better for big messes, like big clods of hay, or old food, or basically anything that may be too big for the hand vac.

IMG_4214a
by AussieDog87, on Flickr
IMG_4216a
IMG_4215a
Bear in mind, it already looks quite different. Some things are gone, other things have been added. These pics were taken while I was getting the cage ready for the girls.
I love it! I just bought fleece for the bottom of the girls cages, but I’m not understanding how to keep it dry?

dannyhimself

New Born Pup
First I want to say thank you for everyone who has made a post in this thread as its a great reference and source of inspiration for cage building.

I want to share my own 3-tier build for our two male pigs. By building our own cage over 3 tiers we were able to get much more space with a footprint that fits in our small living room. I snipped away at the C&C plastic connectors and used cable-ties/velcro straps to make sure it can be easily opened and inserts removed for cleaning. I also bought a transparent acrylic tube to act as a bridge between the middle sections which is quite amusing to watch the pigs crawl through. By having a tube-bridge across the middle sections this allowed the ramps to stay at the back of the cage and consequently allowed us to keep the front of the cage open which allows us to stroke the guineas easily still - it's easier to understand in the pictures.

I think it's much better than the normal guinea-habitat that so many others have started off with as well as us. Hope this can help someone doing a build!

DSC_0084.JPG
DSC_0081.JPG
DSC_0078.JPG
DSC_0074.JPG DSC_0073.JPG DSC_0080.JPG

dannyhimself

New Born Pup
Additional Info:

Cube grids:
SONGNOMICS 16-cube wire grid storage from amazon (all squares need to make frame (minus the ramps, had to buy extra for them)). Interestingly these are 30cm x 30cm grids rather than the 35/36cm x 35/36cm standard for C&C grids. They are a bit thinner and so less rigid but seem to do the job fine with an obligatory large volume of cable ties.

Ramp Grids:
standard c&c grids from Grendle.co.uk

Corrugated Plastic:
the-aluminium-shop.co.uk

Acrylic tube:
(is pretty expensive, i think worth it though to see them crawling and it is hard plastic which is rigid enough to act as a bridge and cannot be chewed - 125cm inside diameter) The Clear Plastic Shop

oxtinamona

Junior Guinea Pig
This is the piggies’ new abode. The girls obviously loved their new home as thy were busy doing zombies and popcorning 😆 just have to find a way to make it secure so I can have opening/moving grids to make cleaning the base easier. View attachment 100129
Looks lush :) great work! Also, for doors etc you can use decent quality cable ties and they use bulldog clips to secure them to the reast of the cage

oxtinamona

Junior Guinea Pig
Looks lush :) great work! Also, for doors etc you can use decent quality cable ties and they use bulldog clips to secure them to the reast of the cage
Sorry, i meant to to type that you can use cable ties as hinges, so the door/lid can open and then bulldog clips to secure the cages and keep the door shut.

Siikibam

Teenage Guinea Pig
Sorry, i meant to to type that you can use cable ties as hinges, so the door/lid can open and then bulldog clips to secure the cages and keep the door shut.
Would the top level be secure enough? That’s my main worry, hence the grids we put underneath the top floor, for support. But they make cleaning (and getting to them) difficult.

oxtinamona

Junior Guinea Pig
Would the top level be secure enough? That’s my main worry, hence the grids we put underneath the top floor, for support. But they make cleaning (and getting to them) difficult.
Do You mean, if it’s secure for the girls to live at the top level? We had 3-tier Stack up C&C cages for our 7 piggies and it was just fine. What we did was putting ‘ support beam’ throughout the length of the cage, using grid holes... we just went to B&Q And picked up two wooden planks, we tested them for stability ( as in they were thin enough to fit through the grid holes, but strong enough to not bend) and put them through underneath what was the bottom of too cage. We also ordered two metal supporting ‘beams’ and put them as support underneath top cage widthways ... hope this makes sense ... I’ll try and find out old set up picture and post it. We now have massive industrial shelving unit which is our cages ‘skeleton’ so each shelf can take up to 350Kg weight... but our old c&c was absolutely fine too.

Pigwhisperer

Adult Guinea Pig
Here's Silk & Clover's new home from C&C Guinea Pig Cages - Home - c and c guinea pig cages

The girls are loving being in the heart of the house between the dining table and the computer! Silk starts wheeking any time anyone rustles anything, and they both come and stare at you hungrily like they haven't been fed for weeks. They potter around happily but of course startle at the slightest sudden noise - my husband sneezing set off an almighty scramble for cover. 20181111175903_IMG_0996_resized.JPG

Hbecooper

Junior Guinea Pig
This is the piggies’ new abode. The girls obviously loved their new home as thy were busy doing zombies and popcorning 😆 just have to find a way to make it secure so I can have opening/moving grids to make cleaning the base easier. View attachment 100129
may i ask how do you.clean that, like get to everything?

Siikibam

Teenage Guinea Pig
Thanks for the pic. I think wood will be the way forward. I’ll go tomorrow when I’m back from the vet.

may i ask how do you.clean that, like get to everything?
It’s difficult at the moment because of the supporting grids in the middle. I’m going to buy some wood to go through the grids underneath the top level. Then I can remove those middle grids, and have some clamped to open when cleaning.

Kimicub

Junior Guinea Pig
20180930_222250.jpg

15421477388642406794381588157334.jpg

15421477855574870136000709059499.jpg
Where it was purchased or how it was made
C&C Guinea Pig Cages - Home - c and c guinea pig cages
They provide all the bits necessary so put together by myself with wire ties

What size it is
A combination of sizes. So the bottom is 2x4 I have 2 upstairs 'rooms' a 1x4 and 2x2 area. Both upstairs areas have hideys and there are 2 hay racks 1 on each floor.
I count downstairs as the kitchen/living area and upstairs are their bedrooms....but obviously they dont see it that way. They like to pee where they go up the slopes so I put a litter tray there.
15421479414215718842395077772097.jpg

How many piggies are kept in it
4 females.

How easy it is to keep clean/if you'd recommend it
I used to have woodshavings all over, then I went to woodshavings downstairs and fleece upstairs. Now I'm fleece everywhere. To spot clean it's easy as you basically shimmy the pigs to the upstairs areas (most of there poop is downstairs). Then a full clean is basically a laundry load and antibacterial spray. So it's quite easy.

ElizaCavies

Junior Guinea Pig
Here's Silk & Clover's new home from C&C Guinea Pig Cages - Home - c and c guinea pig cages

The girls are loving being in the heart of the house between the dining table and the computer! Silk starts wheeking any time anyone rustles anything, and they both come and stare at you hungrily like they haven't been fed for weeks. They potter around happily but of course startle at the slightest sudden noise - my husband sneezing set off an almighty scramble for cover. View attachment 100248
Yes! My guinea pigs do that too! My dad does the biggest sneezes and they are terrified!

ElizaCavies

Junior Guinea Pig
View attachment 100460

View attachment 100461

View attachment 100462

What size it is
A combination of sizes. So the bottom is 2x4 I have 2 upstairs 'rooms' a 1x4 and 2x2 area. Both upstairs areas have hideys and there are 2 hay racks 1 on each floor.
I count downstairs as the kitchen/living area and upstairs are their bedrooms....but obviously they dont see it that way. They like to pee where they go up the slopes so I put a litter tray there.
View attachment 100463

4 females.

I used to have woodshavings all over, then I went to woodshavings downstairs and fleece upstairs. Now I'm fleece everywhere. To spot clean it's easy as you basically shimmy the pigs to the upstairs areas (most of there poop is downstairs). Then a full clean is basically a laundry load and antibacterial spray. So it's quite easy.
I’m fleece everywhere now (from wood shavings as well) they were such a pain :doh::evil:

Siikibam

Teenage Guinea Pig
Aww, this thread makes me want a C&C 😂
Think seriously about it 😝 I like c&c because you can Build it to how you want it 😁

I updated the cage and removed the supporting grids. I put two pieces of wood through the grids underneath the top floor so however much they bounce around it’ll be sturdy. I’ll add a pic later on.

PigglePuggle

Adult Guinea Pig
View attachment 100460

View attachment 100461

View attachment 100462

What size it is
View attachment 100463

4 females.

I love your cage and zebra print fleece but where does the hay go?