• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Mice?

The3LittlePigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! I'm thinking about getting some teeny rodents.. from my research mice seem to be my favourite, but I've never had a pet other than rabbits, guinea pigs, horses and dogs before! I'm wondering if anyone has any advice regarding mice or other small rodents, I'm having a particular issue with cage sizes and cages available, or if you could point me in the direction of a forum that would be great! I've looked for some but the ones I've found don't seem so great.. maybe this place has given me high standards :drool::drool:

Hi! I'm thinking about getting some teeny rodents.. from my research mice seem to be my favourite, but I've never had a pet other than rabbits, guinea pigs, horses and dogs before! I'm wondering if anyone has any advice regarding mice or other small rodents, I'm having a particular issue with cage sizes and cages available, or if you could point me in the direction of a forum that would be great! I've looked for some but the ones I've found don't seem so great.. maybe this place has given me high standards :drool::drool:
Just talk about them on here, there is a other pets section. I like mice, i used to have some as a child. One thing i did notice is they smell very strong very quickly. So need cleaning alot.

I'm not sure of any great mice forums, but Crittery Exotics website has some good info: Fancy Mice - Overview

My resident male mouse + 2 female multimammates live in a Barney Pet Cage (Barney Pet Cage) which gives them plenty of floor space and has narrow bar spacing so no escaping! I highly recommend it :) I wouldn't house miceys in anything with floor space of less than 80x50cm.

Oo, that cage looks cool. Thanks for that! I'm wondering if you need to provide them with a wheel? I'd rather give them masses of space cluttered with things to maneuver and play with, something about wheels is sad to me for some reason! Never liked them.

They do seem to enjoy having the option of a wheel, but it doesn't need to be in the cage all the time. You could put it in some days and leave it out on others. Mine have this wheel: Trixie Exercise wheel, plastic, ø 20 cm: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies It's nice and quiet and big enough so they don't hurt their backs running in it.

Some photos of the current set-up in my mouse/multimammate cage. They probably enjoy cardboard boxes and tubes the most out of all the things I've given them! I still have quite a bit of space to hang more stuff so I'll probably add in some more hammocks as they like to pile in those together :)

I had pet mice as a kid- they are sweet little things, very quick and pretty nimble and intelligent (mine could do tricks like walk across a string from one hand to another.) They have a cool little prehensile tail that can wrap around your finger. The only downside is they smell like mice (but with regular cage-cleaning it's quite manageable) and they have a short little lifespan (a 2-year-old mouse is a very old mouse!) They are social so it is nice to have a same-sex pair.

Because my kids wanted their own personal pets and I wanted something that could be kept alone, instead of mice now we also have hamsters, two girls living separately. We've had three Syrian hamsters (the bigger ones) over the years and all have been very sweet. They are like larger, lazier, clumsier mice who can store things in their face. We also had a dwarf hamster, who was similar to the mice I had in that she was very quick and tiny, but she was a lot more territorial than any of the mice I had growing up. So there are lots of good small rodent options out there, have fun picking one out! :)

Just in case you're not entirely decided on mice yet, I thought I'd put in a good word for gerbils! They're smart and fun and they don't wee as much as other rodents!

Just in case you're not entirely decided on mice yet, I thought I'd put in a good word for gerbils! They're smart and fun and they don't wee as much as other rodents!
Thats true, being desert animals they dont drink alot so dont wee alot, they take ages to start smelling atall. I advise getting 2 male gerbils. Its the opposite to guinea pigs, its female gerbils that tend to fall out

Back