Mini rant about repair garage

piggles 7000

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I took my car into a local AA recommended garage at nine this morning for its MOT. I'm lucky enough to still be able to work (a bit) so took the day off. I waited outside as there was no mask wearing or social distancing in the small waiting room- people and mechanics in and out all the time. An hour and a half later someone told (a frozen) me that it had failed. Ok fine. Whats wrong/when can you fix it? Cue: much chin rubbing and sucking in of breath "could be expensive-dont know-may not be ready today-dont know" Mechanic dealing with it has now gone on a 2 hour round trip to pick up parts for someone elses car so I leave it with them, ask them to call me when they know and walk home. 2.45pm I feel they have had enough time to at least diagnose the problem. Nobody had contacted me so I rang. Told "hes just looking at it now". Grrrr! They werent busy otherwise I would understand. Maybe I'm being unreasonable but I need to buy my piggies some veg as well and want to get to the local shop (2 miles away) and back before it gets dark if I know it wont be ready. I also need to tell my boss if I'm coming to work tomorrow. Rant over! Sorry just needed to unload!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Sorry! So he didn’t look at it before going out for parts?! Hope they get back to you soon and it’s all finished.

piggles 7000

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks to you both. It will now be ready tomorrow. At least I know. It was the lack of communication I think that got me the most. I think I will try elsewhere next time!

YvonneBlue

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Garages are all the same it would appear. I had the a similar problem when i took my car in for repair to a place near where i work. I made it clear to them that i needed it to get home and that if this was going to be a problem they should call me. At 5pm i hadn't heard from them so rang, only to be told 'it won't be ready today as we have to order a part'. I was fuming as it was then too late to easily make alternative arrangements, so i had to walk two miles to the station and then wait an hour for the train.

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
Urgs how annoying and such bad practice too. I won't go anywhere other than to the garage my dad recommended (he passed away 5 years ago!). I remember one year my dad got sucked in by his sister who had said about getting a cheap mot, dad went there and they flagged up something wrong. Dad wasn't happy, he was handy with cars and didn't think they were right plus they wanted lots of money to fix. Took it back to his normal garage who said that it should have been an advisory but once it's put in the national system on an not failure they can't override. Didn't cost as much in the end but it's how some garages make their money and are able to offer cheap MOTs.

If you can find a good, honest garage then stick with them. Mine have twice had my cars in for inspection to give me their opinion on what needed doing and both times didn't charge me at all.