• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Missing Guinea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've never posted on here before, but I would really appresiate your help on this matter, if you can give any!

Basically I took my guinea pig out on the front lawn on a harness and he was having such fun, but managed to squeeze out of it and I wasnt fast enough to catch him.

We have a huge low growing conifer tree out the front, perfect little guinea heaven but there was no way I could get in to catch him.
He kept poping out to nibble grass but wouldnt come up to me, I've recently rescued him so he is so nervous and doesnt know me so well.

My brother got under the tree and waiting til he came close, I told him not to scare him and only to try and get him if he was sure he could, but instead my brother scared the poor thing and we havnt seen him since!

This was over 4 days ago! I've left his cage out and food out and he hasnt been anywhere near it. There are no foxs round by mine because the dogs keep them away and no birds of prey because there are lots of crows so I'm at least a bit hopeful, my parents have said thay have heard something moving in a bush out the front, but I'm not so hopeful anymore!

I was just wondering if anyone else has any other ideas I could try to get him back, I know he is **** dead or gone by now but I need to keep trying!

Someone suggested putting down straw that belongs to female guineas since the scent might draw him out, would this work?

Thanks for all your help guys, I just miss the little guy so much.

I've just realised I've put this in the wrong section

God I'm bad with technology >.<

I do hope someone comes up with a good idea for you...awww poor little fella and poor you..you must be distraught :(

Oh no! I'm so sorry your little piggy got away. You must be devistated :(

I can't think of anyways to get him back other than to keep looking high and low for him. He may still be around and nibbling on grass? Is he an outdoor piggy or indoor so not used to the coldness of nights?

I really really hope he finds his way back to you!

he was outdoor and has just started being indoor, last few months, he survived that really cold snap we had in the shed so I dont think the cold will have got to him....

The problem is I cant get under the tree to look, too many roots and braches, perfect size for a guinea but not for a person, and the bush at the bottom of my garden is really really dense, I cant get in it unless I cut the whole thing down!

I think maybe the scent of ladies might work, worth a try. Have you put out say his favourite veggies? I'm sorry to hear you lost him :(

You could search for evidence. Get down low and try to find poos....at least if you find damp ones those will tell you if he's been there recently.

Scatter veggies and look for bite evidence later too. This will hopefully tell you if he is still in the area and still alive.

Think your way into his mind, think about where he might be. Piggies like to hide, so get a box filled with hay and put it near there so that he will go into it easily - not needing to go across open ground. Then you may be able to find him in that in the morning type of thing.

Wishing you all the luck in the world.

I've put out all his favourite foods as well as his cage and his little igloo and loads of boxes so he can hide, but the bush and tree have so many plaes to hide in there I'm sure he is using those instead!

I'm going to check for nibbled tomorrow and that friend is bring some female guinea used hay as soon as he gets if off his girlfriend, will see if that works, but if not I think he is gone forever!

I'll just keep putting out food and hoping tho

You must be really worried about the little fella.

As well as trying what others have suggested, have you been round your neighbours? A few extra pairs of eyes and ears might help, or they may have seen him. You could put a few notices on lamposts around where you live.

Is the garden enclosed at all? If you think he's under the tree or bush, is it worth trying to build something around it to enclose him in - that way he's at least in one smaller place.

Hope you manage to find him soon x

oh no- how awful, does he wheek when you rustle veggie bags etc or call him, can you try that and see if you can hear him, two of mine are unable to resist wheeking if I rustle a bag and I've found Roy when lost (inside) by doing that until he gives himself away

No he is still very timid so doesnt make any noises, unless i hug him, I've tried going out and rustling the food bag and such but still nothing, I'm worried its been too long now and something has had him (although I've heard cats rarely attack fully grown guineas and theres been no signs of foxes or anything) and I cant seen that he would run away from the tree and bushes which are rather safe.

Thanks for all your encouraging words tho it means alot!

Yes. lots of little hay filled boxes sound like great ideas! If he is hungry and scared he'll be sure to try to get into them

Or another suggestion was to wheek but my guineas go mad when I'm watching guinea pig vids on you tube of wheeking. They may intice him out!

I've just actually found some recordings of guinea pigs and downloaded them, I'll send them to my sisters laptop and take that out tomorrow see if I can at least hear him

OMG i'm so sorry to hear about your piggie :...
I do hope you can find him whee will all keep out paws crossed for you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh no. I really hope you find him. Have you contacted your local vets or any animal rescue charities in case he's been found and handed in? It might be worth a try. Wishing you lots of luck. I hope he's safe wherever he's hiding x

Hey is there any news? I really hope you find him okay, the recording of wheeking sounds a great plan, if he thinks there are other piggies around he may feel safe to come out and investigate, hope this story has a happy ending, thinking of you both xox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back