• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Mites? What to do!?

Pht

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So sorry I haven't been on my phone but... They are doing great! I've def seen a change in chips personality he used to be skiddish aggressive and overall a little unfriendly but now he's super friendly and really adventurous!

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
So sorry I haven't been on my phone but... They are doing great! I've def seen a change in chips personality he used to be skiddish aggressive and overall a little unfriendly but now he's super friendly and really adventurous!
So have you started treatment then? Which one did you get?
Don’t forget it needs to be done as a proper course to stop the mites. Eggs will still be hatching until they have all been caught by the course of treatment (the treatment doesn’t kill the eggs, it only kills them when they hatch hence why the course is needed)

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
So did you have them seen by a different vet?

Pht

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Unfortunately not.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Unfortunately not.
So they’ve not started their treatment then? If not, you really do need to them started ASAP as mites will only get worse and cause more distress and worsen the skin problems

Pht

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
... They have started there treatment I was talking to siikibam

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
That’s great. What treatment have they got? Did you manage to sort the dosing and the course length out? I know there was a bit of confusion with the vet recommending but not prescribing.

Pht

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We are supposed to get revolution for dogs and they didn't have much revolution left so they couldn't give it to us but they told us how to get it

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
We are supposed to get revolution for dogs and they didn't have much revolution left so they couldn't give it to us but they told us how to get it
But you managed to get it though?
Don’t forget you don’t do it once a month, the treatment has to be completed as part of a course over a couple of weeks

Pht

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I don't know what to do because we can't go to another vet and I don't want to go out of the vets instructions

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I don't know what to do because we can't go to another vet and I don't want to go out of the vets instructions
Have your piggies started their treatment with an anti mite medication? You said yes, but it doesn’t sound like you have been able to.

You need to find a vet who understands how to treat a piggy for mites - which is with a prescribed (not an off the shelf treatment from a pet shop) anti mite treatment which is done over the course of several weeks

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
... They have started there treatment I was talking to siikibam
I just want to clear things up - sorry if I’m repeating myself. Going on your first post that I quoted, you said they started treatment. In your later post (blue text) you say you are supposed to get revolution.

1) did you get the revolution?
2) if yes to question 1, have you applied the first treatment?
3) if no to question 1, what do you plan to do?

There’s no harm in taking them to another vet for a check. If I’m honest, I don’t know if I can keep going to a vet who doesn’t have enough medication on hand to give me a prescription. Why do they have so little?

The other thing is he said you’re to treat once a month. It’s supposed to be three doses, each 2 weeks apart...

If you’ve not yet got the revolution then I strongly suggest you take your piggies to another exotic vet.
Guinea Lynx :: GL's Vet List

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
So you haven’t gotten them to another vet or returned to the other and asked they give you a prescription nor tried to buy some somewhere?