• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Mobbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggybaker

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
To those of you who have a herd of 5 or more pigs have you ever seen a herd turn on a member of its group?

I have, and had to have the pig destroyed due to its injuries, it had been bitten under its chin and it had become infected, this is not recent this was about a year ago,

What do you think caused the pigs to turn on one?

I had 15 in the herd and no male?

oh my goodness I've never heard maybe he was already sick some species will often turn on or abandon sick or injured herd members because they will attract predators, just a thought I'm sorry for your loss! :smitten:

Thanks but this happened last year some time sad but well over it, had bigger heart aches since then with reguards to pigs

but the sow was healthy,,,,

It could be that she had an illness that was not apparent to anyone but the other piggies would have sensed it.

What an awful thing to have experienced.

I have heard of adults turning against runts of the litter - this sounds very harsh but is just "the survival of the fittest" and a runt could well attract predators and cause severe problems for the entire herd.

no this was not a baby, she was a full grown sow,

piggybaker said:
no this was not a baby, she was a full grown sow,

No a runt isn't necessarily a baby (although it is obviously a runt from birth).

I have heard of other animals turning on one member of the group for no apparent reason although it is often thought they are harbouring an illness or disease which would if let unchecked cause harm to the entire herd.

maybe she was ill but i didn't know,, to late to know for sure just thought it would make an interesting chat point

no I have never heard of this but makes sad reading :(

How old was she?in relation to the others? was she significantly older or younger?
how long had she been in the group?
I don't know what else you could ask?
My group of 11 girls and one boy get on lovely Merlin just does wht he's told and does try by doing his bum rumble but they just ignore him! ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back