Monkeys as pets?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Is this normal? Was having a wee nosy at gumtree there and there is a capuchin monkey for sale. Looks like it was bought by the family and the novelty has worn off as it's only 6 months old. I didn't even know you could buy monkeys! My granda always told me he had a monkey when he was young, but I thought he was joking! Maybe he was telling the truth lol

http://www.gumtree.com/p/community/black-capuchin-monkey/77036855

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hmm I'm not sure, I think you'd maybe have to apply for DWA? Also some animals are illegal to keep, e.g. under DEFRA and then CITES for transportation. I'd imagine they'd take a lot of work too as they will need a lot of enrichment so it's not a decision to be taken lightly! And needs a lot of research..

On the other hand,
I would looooove a lemur.

Reaction score
I think a monkey would be very hard work wouldn't it as you would have to let it have free run of the house, you couldn't keep it in one or two rooms and definitely not outside. I was thinking too you would need a special license, so I wonder how that would work in classifieds ads hmmmmm

Sophie

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You definately can but not sure if you need a license :s There is a program about couples in America who have monkeys instead of babies and dress them up like babies and everything! I think its on iplayer. x

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It would be pretty hard to look after them, monkeys need to climb, jump etc so unless you built an enclosure in your garden it would be pretty wrong to keep it. I'm pretty sure you need a DWA (Dangerous Wild Animal) licence, and through that they'd advise you what accommodation you'd need etc.

Reaction score
i would love to have a pet monkey, but then again i wouldnt because that would be crual and the monkey wouldnt be in its proper inviromont, but it does seem very wrong to keep a monkey as a pet

Reaction score
You definately can but not sure if you need a license :s There is a program about couples in America who have monkeys instead of babies and dress them up like babies and everything! I think its on iplayer. x

Wow that's just weird! It's one thing having them as pets, quite another pretending they are little people @) will have to look this up on iplayer!xox

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You probably need a license in the UK. But in Ireland you can keep almost any animal, there's no regulations really, you could have a tiger . . . rolleyes

I think you'd need a huge huge outdoor enclosure, with trees and loads of enrichment, and it'd need company of the same species. They're wild animals, so I think they need a really natural life, not indoors . . .

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score

I saw it I think! Maybe on 4OD? It was scary, those people were just crazy. And some of the monkeys were kept in small cages, that would be great for a chinchilla maybe, but not for a monkey :(

Reaction score
My granda always told me he had a monkey when he was young, but I thought he was joking!

Haha, my Granda had one too... allegedly anway! He picked it up somewhere when he was in the navy I think. To me though, I think it seems very cruel to keep an animal like that as a pet. They belong in the wild with their own kind. I suppose you could say the same for all animals but I just can't imagine a monkey being really happy being domesticated.

Reaction score
Haha, my Granda had one too... allegedly anway! He picked it up somewhere when he was in the navy I think. To me though, I think it seems very cruel to keep an animal like that as a pet. They belong in the wild with their own kind. I suppose you could say the same for all animals but I just can't imagine a monkey being really happy being domesticated.

Maybe it was a wee granda in joke :)) I have never seen pics of this alleged monkey! But he was a boy apparently so maybe there were no cameras then! A monkey's in a different league isn't it really, it would be so hard to replicate natural living conditions for the wee things xox

Reaction score

i saw that! very strange!

Status
Not open for further replies.