Monkeys In A Pet Shop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer D

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There's a massive pet store that I pick up some of my bird stuff from that has Marmosets. But they are in a HUGE cage and have tons of stuff to swing and play and eat etc. They also have a massive aviary for their tropical birds which is super cool. They're both very clean and full of interactive things for them. They have a tortoise as well that lives in the bottom of the aviary that is really cool and wanders about everywhere :) Sad that not all pet stores can have proper spaces :(

PistachioPiggy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There's a massive pet store that I pick up some of my bird stuff from that has Marmosets. But they are in a HUGE cage and have tons of stuff to swing and play and eat etc. They also have a massive aviary for their tropical birds which is super cool. They're both very clean and full of interactive things for them. They have a tortoise as well that lives in the bottom of the aviary that is really cool and wanders about everywhere :) Sad that not all pet stores can have proper spaces :(
well the rest of the pets there are in amazing cages! its just the monkeys are in a smaller cage than I think they should have.

P

piggyfan

This is so sad. I read in the review they are kept in a tank. That cannot have enough air, surely? I cannot believe the council agreed to it.

nicky

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I hate the thought of primates kept as pets. A glass tank ? DEAR GOD!

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
That is terribly depressing.
@Jennifer D my 9 year old son goes to "zoo club" where he learns about conservation and looking after wild animals and exotics, a few weeks ago the topic was meercats and the leader told the children that there has been a real problem with people keeping meercat pets due to some adverts on British TV for insurance. He said they have had so many handed in as people find out they are viscious and need company rather than cute cuddly toys. It certainly wasnt pretty seeing them rip their raw meet apart!

Abbie

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I also have a pet shop near me like this. It sells meerkats, foxes, badgers, bats, raccoons, scorpions, squirrels, little stingrays, skunks, as well as a huge variety of snakes and tarantulas and of course the "normal pet shop pets". They even had a mini crocodile(?) alligator(?). I'm not sure what you call the mini ones! And I'm sure there's other crazy animals ive missed!

It makes me sad how all of these animals are kept in such small places. I think one of the things that shocked me the most was the bats.

I love meerkats. Absolutely adore them. But wouldn't dream of keeping them. I didn't even think it would be legal to keep any of those animals :(

PistachioPiggy

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sometimes I wish that guinea pigs, cats and dogs could be wild animals... obviously we cant do anything and its wrong to set them free in the wild but if only...

Claire W

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It makes me wonder where these wild animals come from to be sold. I call them wild as to be fair, they are!

I would never dream of having a meerkat, badger, skunk, primate as a pet. How can anybody think that's a good idea.

I love meerkats and badgers etc but surely having one as a pet just isn't practical. They're called wild and exotic animals for a reason :( and nothing can be done to change their natural instincts.

When did anyone see a vegetarian domestic cat?

It's a sad world we live in and it's the animals who suffer :(

wispie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score

wispie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
my word i am for once stuck for words - seriously i am shocked. poor poor animals. we humans have a lot to answer for!

Bruschnazzy

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Those look like a small variety of marmoset, and I don't think the tank looks that awful in size for being in a petstore and their size. Not sure the fuss on living in a glass structure either - considering that's what many live in in zoo centres when they're inside as well (with cage type material on the outside portions when allowed through). While it may be ideal they be in their natural habitat, for what it is - I don't consider it too bad a living space being they will never be wild. They also seem to be providing them with enrichment that caters to what they enjoy.

RedRosa

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I think thats terrible :( i hope they're okay.

johng2611

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So a pet shop/garden center near bury (where I live) is housing monkeys! I have been and seen it and although they are not selling them I think they are in awful accommodations and probably have a bad diet! What do you guys think? I found a review on it here: http://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/11777183.Row_over_monkeys_on_display_at_garden_centre/?ref=mr
(Michelle) Report your concerns to the RSPCA and your local council as pet shops need to have a license to operate. Doesn't sound good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.