moodyness

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

purplegem1985

just been sat talking to dave and daphne and they are very skittish...

i'm thinking its because i leave their house in the hutch all day so i'm thinkikng whether they just sit in there all day?

when i go to take them out they run away and then when i've eventually got dave and daphne they try to bite my fingers.. usually that is to tell me they need to go to the toilet but more recently its been to say put me down kinda thing.

does anyone else leave their houses in all day?

how can i get more friendly piggies?

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
I have had so many problems with houses in cages. Rosie and Amber when they were together as a pair Rosie would never let Amber in the house and also would attack Amber if she went in. I ended up having to take it out. I think it is ok sometimes for them to have it but I think they can become more lazy.
Have you seen the wooden log sticks which you can make into like a"shelter" then can sit under and it is more open than a house. (can get them in Pets at Home) Badger loves his one. Loves sleeping under it but doesn't cause any problems. Think I might try my other piggies with them.
The houses are prob perfect for a guinea pig that is by themselves but when there is more than 1 I think they can become territorial!

P

purplegem1985

yeah we've got one of them as well

i just dont know whats up with them

i mean they are fine they will come up to the side of the hutch and take food from me but just dont want to be picked up

i think i might start taking out the house during the day and just piling a load of hay in there.. i was just worried that they might get cold and stuff

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Good idea. Hay will be enough to keep them warm. My piggies that live in the hutch outside don't have houses and they are fine.

I think some piggies are not the "cuddley" type unfortunately. I have some which are like that and perhaps as they grow older will become more tame and not to skittish!

P

purplegem1985

maybe i dont get them out enough

maybe they unhappy with their surroundings... i dont know i just want some happy piggies

they like chatter away to themselves and stuff so i can only presume that they are happy. the girls dont popcorn or anything

how often do you get your pigs out?

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
I have 20 piggies so its quite hard spending a lot of time with each of them. I usually spend more time with the 1s which are by themselves or are in twos.

How many piggies do you have? I usually get my piggies out for 10/15 mins at a time a couple of times a day. Something which might bring you and your piggies closer together is give them some fresh food when you get them out. Some of my piggies love having it when they sit on me and look forward to coming out.

I am sure your piggies are happy!

StromasDragon

Reaction score
I have houses with the boys so the they can have time apart. I have one house in my CC sow cage bit thats to keep the ramp up.

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
All of my pigs have their houses in all day although half the time they don't use them!

To try and get your pigs more tame make their time out with you more rewarding - give them tiny bits of their favourite foods when they are out and a nice treat when they go back into their cage as then they start to see time out as a treat! I have used this method with sooooooo many pigs now and all of my lot are extremely tame. Just ask Ellie who had to put up with Tommy and Roo showing off like mad when she was here last week!

Kate

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Dr was ever so possessive of all the houses, especially a red one that was all his. I can't bring myself to give it to the others yet

C

cutecavy

All my piggies have houses in all day and all night. They only sleep in them and come to the door of the cage when I enter the 'Piggy Room'. Sounds like they need to be handled more.

Ellie, you should let the outdoor piggies have a house. I'm sure they are at least a little bit cold, and if not, I'm sure they would like someplace to be alone.

I wouldn't take out the house, but handle them much much more. :)

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hey, Purplegem, who is the piggie in your logo? He has a very naughty face!

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
The outdoor piggies Livie are in a hutch and have a bedding area where they all go in if they are cold. :)

G

gothchick1515

Zubin and Griffin do, but they fight if i take the house out i don't know why they do it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.