More bad news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary

Reaction score
As some of you know that I am having a hard time with one of my rescue gps at the moment (Patch). Well today I was at work just for the morning and took Oliver ( caverliar King Charles Spaniel) as he need to have his booster. He is 5 years and I have been told by my vet that he has a heart mummer. I am gutted. He isn't too bad at the mo but when he is about 9/10 he will be on tablets for the rest of his life. Just hope he dosent get worse before then. If any one knows about this condition or have had a dog with this please let me know.

Mary

B

blondecat

Oh poor you, that's awful. I had a cat with one and he was ok on medication but I had to limit his time outside - not easy with a cat. Unfortunately, Arthur was hit by a car. He survived but had a back leg amputated after a very long story! He then made a brilliant recovery and lived for another three months but then his heart threw off a clot and disabled his remaining back leg. I then had to have him pts. I think if you make sure they're kept a close eye on by your vet and stick to his meds he should be ok, but obviously I'm not an expert. Good luck and lots of love to him x

B

Beaney

Heart mumurs are very common in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels - it was one of the 'breed' things (in the same way German Shepards often have hip problems etc).

My last Cavalier King Charles Spaniel had a heart mumur from a puppy - it was diagnosed at 12 weeks. At age 7 he had to go on to the tablets - this is young but because he had it from a puppy it did mean that he needed treatment sooner. It did end his life early unfortunatley but I think that is because he was born with it. He lived almost a year once he went on the tablets.

The cavalier that I have now will be 6 in March. He is very sickly and I usually put in about 3 insurance claims a year for his various problems! Up until this year his heart has always checked fine. This year it was picked up he has the beginnings of a mumur and I know eventually he will have to go on medication. The only good thing is, because he has gone this long without a problem, like yours, it should be several years before he needs the pills.

The symptom to look out for is coughing. When the condition starts to get bad, fluid can build up inside the lungs and the heart can start to enlarge. The dog will cough as a result - it was at this point that my first dog had to go on to the tablets. It is good that it has been picked up now as your vet can monitor it and make sure treatment starts at the right time.

Try not to worry - I know it is easier said then done - it will probably be years before your dog has any actual problems as a result of his mumur. Like I have said, it was 7 years before my first spaniel showed any clinical signs and the tablets helped loads when he went on them.

He is beautiful by the way.

Sabrina
xx

Mary

Reaction score
Thank you so much for letting me know about your dogs, I have another ckcs and she is 2 so I will be taking her to the vets soon as well to get her checked over. I have been told to watch his weight and keep him fit and just see how he goes. When I call him in I say 'come on son'! You see I have 3 daughters and hes my boy!

Mary

B

Beaney

Mary said:
Thank you so much for letting me know about your dogs, I have another ckcs and she is 2 so I will be taking her to the vets soon as well to get her checked over. I have been told to watch his weight and keep him fit and just see how he goes. When I call him in I say 'come on son'! You see I have 3 daughters and hes my boy!

Mary
Bless - they are such lovely dogs. I guess with all pedigree dogs they have their 'diseases'. When I had both of mine I always called them 'my boys'. Now I just have Krysla, I just call him my baby. You are doing the best thing - once the problem is known, the vet can keep an eye on it and that is all you can do. I know it is hard to know that there is something wrong and you can't really do anything to make it better.

Keeping their weight down and keeping them fit is really good advice - it just makes sure there is no excess strain on his heart. I can't get over how handsome he is :)

Mary

Reaction score
Thank you ;) You are not the first person to say how handsome he is!

Mary

linda.b

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Aw he is just beautiful! Hope everything goes alright with him and patch.(((hugs)))

michellemuffin

Reaction score
woah what a royal looking man he is he looks very posh lol I'm sure now the vets know about his heart murmer he will be closley watched and will lead a normal life with medication eventually , its amazing what they can do these days, any news on patch yet?

Mary

Reaction score
michellemuffin said:
woah what a royal looking man he is he looks very posh lol I'm sure now the vets know about his heart murmer he will be closley watched and will lead a normal life with medication eventually , its amazing what they can do these days, any news on patch yet?
Not posh he eats rabbit and guinea pig pooh! :D :D And cat pooh if gets a chance! :P :P
Patch is take food by syringe and I have just given him some baby apple food! Its been years since I have brought baby food. Seems to have his bowels open more. My vet has said to feed him every 3 hours for 48 hours and see how we get on. Such a good job I work there, my vet bill is big enough as it is!
Thanks for asking after Patch, some times it gets you down when they are ill and there seems no end to the road.

Mary

C

cavykind

I had a lovely little Terrier cross who was diagnosed with a heart murmur at 8 years old, she did need medication as she aged...but lived to be 17 years old :)

There are different grades of murmur, depending on severity, but as has been said, treatment is improving all the time, so stay positive!

Barbara

lolseh

Reaction score
Our old poodle had a heart mummer he lived til he was 16 I think. But I don't think it was anything to do with his heart because he became swollen at his stomach and when he would lie down and something then stand up and would be really damp.

Status
Not open for further replies.