• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Mossy Block Paving Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbiS

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a huge area of block paving that had a load of moss growing in between the bricks. Clearing it by hand is a total nightmare that is taking an age. I was just wondering what methods anyone has used to clear the moss and if anyone has ever used an electric patio weed clearer brush and if so what you think of it.

Last edited:
Hiya,

Can you borrow a power washer ? Can be quite messy but great fun... :yahoo:

Hiya,

Can you borrow a power washer ? Can be quite messy but great fun... :yahoo:
We do have one and had thought about it but the problem is that we would then need to re-sand the blocks so it sorts one problem out but gives us another one.

If it's sand between the bricks, a stiff brush may do the trick...

If it's sand between the bricks, a stiff brush may do the trick...
I do have a block brush but it is really hard work and I have a seriously vast area of paving to do - we have enough space to park 5 cars in front of and round the side house and then 3 wide paths and a large patio at the back. Doing it by hand and brush is just not an option.

I was thinking of getting one of these but can't find any reviews on it.

Westpower Electric Weeder & Patio Brush - from Maxwells DIY UK

:D That electric brush looks like a great tool for your amount of patio. I have stone patio too, but only about 15 square foot of it, and I use a long-handled copper brush (which has rusted in the rain!) to clear moss from the cracks.
Argos do an electric patio cleaner but it's £90. There is a video of it in action. It looks really good.

How about a weed burner? This would dry the moss out too much &kill it off.
I bought one from lidl back along &it was £15 I think including the gas canister. Initially I bought for the weeds in the cracks of the patio- but it also does gravel etc.

Also its more eco friendly than weedkiller. Any bugs etc that are accidentally killed, its a very quick process &won't poison anything else in the food chain.
I have a small patio &use a shovel to slice the moss off too.
Hold the blade flat (nearly parallel)against the surface of the patio &slide it in a backwards &forwards motion.

Good luck with the moss clearance. Xx

How about a weed burner? This would dry the moss out too much &kill it off.
I bought one from lidl back along &it was £15 I think including the gas canister. Initially I bought for the weeds in the cracks of the patio- but it also does gravel etc.

Also its more eco friendly than weedkiller. Any bugs etc that are accidentally killed, its a very quick process &won't poison anything else in the food chain.
I have a small patio &use a shovel to slice the moss off too.
Hold the blade flat (nearly parallel)against the surface of the patio &slide it in a backwards &forwards motion.

Good luck with the moss clearance. Xx

Does the weed burner not damage the blocks?

it doesn't seem to with mine, the flame tip is directed towards the moss & should hardly reach the blocks, apparently it expands the vessels in the plant & explodes them so it kills the plant, without damaging anything else. :tu:
i use it for the weeds that grow between the slabs, doesn't take long usually :D

Personally I think a power washer is best - even though you have to re-sand afterwards. I have a piccy somewhere of where DH had done half of the Patio (was doing the rest after lunch) and as well as removing the moss inbetween the paving stones, it made the paving stones look like new and on the side that hadnt been done the paving stones themselves looked really dirty and grimy.

A cheap and easy alternative is soda crystals to kill the moss. Once the moss is dead, it should sweep up really easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back