Moving Bottoms side to side and rumbling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannah Boo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

Just want to know what my guinea pigs behaviour means... I'm guessing its either dominance or when they are on heat or something.

I have two girl piggies that are nearly 2 years old. Every so often one of them will start moving her bottom side to side and the other pig start squeaking when this is happening. The pig shaking its bottom will make a rumbling noise and will sometimes then jump in the air and squeek (a bit like pop corning). Sometimes she will then wipe her bottom on the hay or the other pig will.

They will do this a few times in the day and then won't do it for a while, then the other pig will do it.

Any ideas what this is?

:)

flintstones

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Hi Hannah,

What your sow is doing is Rumble Strutting you are correct it is a sign of dominance, wiping her bum on the floor or the other pig I believe is scenting but my girls also do his after they wee. Perfectly normal behaviour, and yes rumbling can be a sign that they are in season.

Hope this helps.

piglet_and_rogers_mama

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
aw that sounds cute. i have 2 boys and whenever piglet rumblestrutts (hes the only one who does it) roger runs in the oppositie direction, and theres certainly never popcorning involved lol! but then again ive never been around lady pigges :)

Coconut

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is exactly what my two do, I just feel sorry for Miss Piggy who is the one on the bottom and much smaller than Bailey :...

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's called rumblestrutting, it can be either a show of dominance or a sign that one of them is in heat. If you're seeing it on a regular basis, I would bet it's connected to their heat cycle. One of my pigs was like clockwork with cycle related aggressiveness- ironically she was the subordinate pig when she wasn't high on hormones!

Hannah Boo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
thanks everyone for your replies. Its really funny to watch especially when they jump in the air and popcorn after the rumbling. They seem generally more excitable at these times as well- I.e popcorn loads more when its breakfast or dinner time- they twitch so much it looks like they're having a fit. Its nice that my pigs popcorn so much. Ive never had a pair of guineas that popcorn this much before! :)

Reaction score
thanks everyone for your replies. Its really funny to watch especially when they jump in the air and popcorn after the rumbling. They seem generally more excitable at these times as well- I.e popcorn loads more when its breakfast or dinner time- they twitch so much it looks like they're having a fit. Its nice that my pigs popcorn so much. Ive never had a pair of guineas that popcorn this much before! :)

Popsorning is the sweetest thing to watch. I have only had mine a few months but they popcorn when I put them in their huge indoor run; they'd never had such space before and loved it!

I wish they got that excited all the time though; they're so cute x)

Status
Not open for further replies.