• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My 7 yrs old Guinea pig Asher is lying flat on her side with movement even when picked up and she looks as though she is in a coma. Can anyone helpme

Asher

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi my 7 yrs old Guinea pig is not moving she on her side when i picked her up nothing, IV touched her eyes teeth body it's as if she is in a coma can anyone shed some light on this pls .x

Hi my 7 yrs old Guinea pig is not moving she on her side when i picked her up nothing, IV touched her eyes teeth body it's as if she is in a coma can anyone shed some light on this pls .x
Is she breathing at all? It sounds sadly as though she may have passed away if you are able to touch her actual eyes with no response :(

Is she cold to touch? Breathing slowly? This happened when my 7 year old pig was passing away

I cannot hear her breathing just cool at mine ,x

Oh dear, that does sound as if she's passed over the rainbow bridge. I'm so sorry if that's the case.

I can't see anything she not responding to anything but i no rigamortist not set in i no if it does she gone. Can Guinea pigs die in their sleep but not be completely 100/ dead? I don't think she is going to come round. She wasn't poorly but she been tried for weeks x

I think the only thing you can do is see if rigor mortis does set and then you will be certain, this is really difficult to say.

7 is a really really good age for a guinea pig its above the expected life span..sorry to hear this.

I am sorry, it sounds like your piggy has suffered a sudden massive heart attack or stroke. There is nothing you can do when this happens. :(

It is always a huge shock when you find a piggy that has just passed away unexpectedly, especially when you have never come face to face with death before. Rigor mortis won't set in until later. One of the first signs is a gradual dulling of the eyes.

Gently place her in a cosy and place a towel over it; leave her like that until her body is cold. Make sure that you give any companions time to say goodbye.
Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

HUGS!

So sorry to hear this.
I lost my lovely Tamar in a similar way and held her on my lap in a towel for about an hour until I was sure she had passed away
7 is a great age and a real tribute to your care.
Take care of yourself and allow yourself time to grieve for Asher.

Welcome to the forum

I'm so sorry :( one thing you can do to put your mind at ease that they have passed (which I've had to do myself a few times now) is shine a light in one if the eyes, once brain activity has ceased, the pupils will no longer react to light.

Welcome to the forum, I am sorry it is under these circumstances. Your piggies was clearly very well looked after and much loved to reach 7.

Ah I'm sorry to read this, I agree with Eriwathen in that you must have given her a great life to reach 7. Take care of yourself too. Big hugs 💗 x

So sorry you lost your piggies x Sleep tight little one x

I'm absolutely gutted but she wasn't poorly before she passed but i wish i could have spent more time with her before she passed over. Thank you all for your help appreciated x

7 years is at the upper end of the average life span, but it is hard to not be able to say goodbye - different, but equally as hard when you get the bad news of a terminal illness. :(

Take consolation in that your beloved girl has had a very easy death, as these things go. Passing away in one's sleep is very rare even if it has become our sanitised concept after death has been pushed out of our daily life. When the chips are down, we'd rather pay the price in having to grieve a bit more than having our beloved one suffering, whether that is a pet, partner, relative or close friend. ;)

Make sure that you commemorate her in some way. You are welcome to post a tribute in our Rainbow Bridge section; it is there for those that would like to make use of it whenever it feels right for them.
A little picture album or collage etc. can also help you with revisiting all the many happy years you have shared and to regain the love and the memories that her death is currently obscuring. Revisiting the happy times will hopefully help you in the process of saying goodbye. I find that it does for me, especially where death has come unexpectedly, whether it is an emergency pts, me finding a piggy in the process of dying or already passed away.

Back