• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My Adventures With Piggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenzy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
*Note: This is my first time on a forum. Not real sure if I'm doing this correctly.
Hello, my name is Kenzy and I have recently adopted Piggy ( he already had his name). I've always wanted a guinea pig since I was a small child but was never able to have one. A woman I work with told me she was looking for a new home for her guinea pig because she doesn't have the time for him anymore between her two jobs and other matters. So I went over to meet Piggy and I fell in love with him in an instant! There was no way I was leaving with out him. I brought him home with me, and started following the directions she had given me for his care. I had not planned on bringing him home just yet so I was a bit unprepared. So I, of coarse, started looking up all the information I could on guinea pigs. What I found out real quick was that she had not done any research herself. Now I have had him for almost three weeks. He seems to be happy and adjusting well. I have replaced his too small cage with a larger (8sq ft) one, he now has little toys to chew on and such, and a hide out (which he absolutely loves). Technically he has three hide outs. What I'm worried about is that when the woman who had him got him he was found on the side of the street wandering around with another guinea pig. She took him home and her friend took the other one. So I do not know anything about his past or even how old he is. I do plan on taking him to the vet in a few weeks ( unfortunately i have to save up the money ). He seems to me to be healthy, I have even listened to his chest to see if i could hear any sickness, but he seems to be breathing just fine. But I read that guinea pigs are good at hiding their sicknesses. I just love him so much. He also has red eyes.

So far we have had many adventures getting to know each other. I'm slowing finding out what he likes and doesn't like to eat. Its so cute to see him drop something he doesn't like. So far he is not into anything not green. Haha. He has just started squeaking at me when I'm in the kitchen and he hears bags opening, He wants his veggies then, and when he doesn't get them every time i can feel his disapproval. I just want whats best for my Piggy and though its been more expensive and more work than I originally thought I would still go back and bring him home. WP_20150314_003.jpg

Welcome! And nice to see you're a new owner.

Guinea pigs are a very susceptible animals and need a lot of attention, care, space and money when needed.

You know a guinea pig is sick because of how they act. If they're always in the same place, doing nothing, not eating well, with sunken eyes, abnormal poop, or something you just feel weird, then that's a red light and you need to go to the vet and start doing soething for their health (like feeding with syringe). But something you need to keep in mind is what kind of vet you should go with.

Something the guinea pigs need is a very balanced diet: always have hay, pellets, water and their fruit and veggies. A big place for them to run is necessary too, if you can leave him out of his cage, just take care for them to not go into dangerous places. Never ever use water tanks and never ever use those cages with a floor like this one:

automatic_poultry_cage_634594118921199318_2.jpg

I know there are people who leave their piggies in these kind of cages and that's painful for them.

Here's a site that helped me a lot for my guinea pig, Chispita.

Hope I helped a little bit. But you'll find better advices, here are a lot of very knowledgeable people :)

Hello and welcome to the forum. Piggly is gorgeous. It is lovely you are doing your research into meeting his needs. I look forward to hearing all about him.

Thank you. I already knew about those cages. They look painful for any type of pet, i would never use those. Piggy's has a canvas bottom for now, I'm working on building him a much better one. I'm very sure now that he is not sick, He eats constantly. Or tries to get treats. He is also very active sometimes it takes me and my roommate to catch his fast little butt.

Tomorrow I'm going to go ahead and give him a bath. I have been debating whether or not to give him one but hes long haired. Plus when i first brought him home his hair was badly matted up, especially on his bottom. I had to cut off most of the mats but he still has one smallish one that i cant comb or cut out because its so close to his skin, so I'm thinking maybe i can get it out or loosen it up in a bath. I'm just worried about how mad at me he is going to get. I'll give him his favorite treat afterwards (carrots).

Today was the first time he has ever given me kisses! I'm so excited! I was really depressed before I got Piggy, and since I've had him everyone tells me I have been smiling and laughing more than ever. So I guess its safe to say that me and Piggy rescued each other. Oh I almost forgot, He has also been pop-corning more and more every day. Its so cute!

Thank you for reading and replying to my post I really appreciate any information you all have to offer.

Thank you. I already knew about those cages. They look painful for any type of pet, i would never use those. Piggy's has a canvas bottom for now, I'm working on building him a much better one. I'm very sure now that he is not sick, He eats constantly. Or tries to get treats. He is also very active sometimes it takes me and my roommate to catch his fast little butt.

Tomorrow I'm going to go ahead and give him a bath. I have been debating whether or not to give him one but hes long haired. Plus when i first brought him home his hair was badly matted up, especially on his bottom. I had to cut off most of the mats but he still has one smallish one that i cant comb or cut out because its so close to his skin, so I'm thinking maybe i can get it out or loosen it up in a bath. I'm just worried about how mad at me he is going to get. I'll give him his favorite treat afterwards (carrots).

Today was the first time he has ever given me kisses! I'm so excited! I was really depressed before I got Piggy, and since I've had him everyone tells me I have been smiling and laughing more than ever. So I guess its safe to say that me and Piggy rescued each other. Oh I almost forgot, He has also been pop-corning more and more every day. Its so cute!

Thank you for reading and replying to my post I really appreciate any information you all have to offer.

Cutie long haired! If so, you must buy some baby brushes and maybe three times a week brush his hair.

What I used to do to bath my baby was, me first taking a bath and, with all the steam water, take him inside and prepare in a small container his warm water. Using some Mennen shampoo (for babies too), massaging his body, his private parts and being very careful not to wet his face (I used to repeat this process two times). I think if I have the bathroom warm will be good for the piggy, so he'll not get any cold :)

Hi! I welcome you! My two boar are the cutest together... Just wanna let u know that my boys don't like some veggies at first but then eat them, or they'll wait until their favs are gone to eat... They do not like anything stong such as oranges, celery, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back