• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My beloved Umbrella is unwell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldie

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there everyone.

I am sure lots of members will remember Umbrella. But in case you don't I fostered him from Summerleaze back in Spring 2009 - she had rescued him from terrible conditions. He was in a really bad state - unfed, hair missing and basically he looked awful. Summerleaze asked me to after him for 3 months and nurse him back to health. All the threads you can find in my profile.

Well, my family and I feel in love with him instantly. Summerleaze agreed that we could adopt him. When he was fit and well, I introduced him to his love of his life .... Parasol ... and they have lived, or should I say, loved up ever since.

However, since the summer he has had bouts of respiratory problems. He has always drank alot but that has decreased. I took him to the vet in July, September and also last Saturday ... each time he has had a course of Baytril.

This time though he can't maintain his weight. Last Saturday he weighted 610g - tiny!

I have managed to get his weight up to approx 650g with springe feeding with recovery sachets, baytril, metacam and keeping him warm indoors. One front tooth has broken off and his lower teeth aren't great, although the vet has checked his back teeth and they are fine.

We all love him to bits - even after owning guinea pigs are nearly 20 years he is an absolute legend in our house.

I am keeping everything crossed he gets through this illness, but accept that with his weight loss and a respiratory problem that just won't seem to go away, we can only hope!

Hi Laura-CCC4 - nice to hear from you again. I will have a look at the link in a minute.

Any help and advice will be very much appreciated.

Umbrella loves his springe feed but is reluctant to feed himself. He is so small now - we can only hope he gets through this and recovers!

I remember Umbrella's story back in 2009. I do hope the litle guy gets well soon, kisses to Umbrella from me xxxxx. x>>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back