My boars have fallen out :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Gizmo (18mths) and percy (6mth) have been living together for a couple of months. After initally not being too keen on each other they came around and became great pals. Now Percy has hit 6 months and I think his hormones are raging. Hes no longer happy to let Gizmo be the dominant pig and Gizmo is not ready to hand over the dominant pig crown!

I posted the other day after they had a major fight and took Gizmo to the vet who said the blood on his bum was from being bitten by Percy :( She strongly advised to keep them apart which I have. Now Gizmo seems much happier on his own in his own cage but Percy seems lonley. Do you think I should get another friend for Percy? Or should I just try and percivere with the two of them?
Any ideas appreciate :)

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Could you keep them side by side for the time, so they can still interact through the mesh? Percy is at a very difficult age right now and I would recommend waiting until his hormones have settled before doing anything about it.

The problem is that with every young boar you introduce you will run the same risk as with Percy. There is a small chance that your boys can be re-introduced again, at least at common run time when Percy is over his hormones, but certainly not before!

An alternative would be to have both neutered and living with a youngish sow each.

Reaction score
I had the same problem, without the blood.

I had Felix already and when I introduced Wendall( about a year younger) to him, he was not so keen on him. They got on, but not the best of friends. They did not fight, but I had seen Felix with other pigs with whom he really clicked with. I let it be as they did not fight. When Wendall got to that age though, the fights started. I did my best to seperate them when it happened. I must admit I spoiled Felix a bit aswell, being the older pig who was being challenged by a very pushy Wendall. All in all, I made sure there was never any blood. They always stayed in the same cage aswell. It has been about six months since that all happened. Now Felix who used to march around the cage doing his motorboating dance does not do it all. Wendall does it from time to time. I think he has won the dominance battle. Although I from time to time I see Felix doing the motorboating dance silently to himself, this makes me happy.

I suppose they sort it out between themselves. You just have to make sure they don't hurt each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.