my boys don't drink!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahp

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Does anyone have pigs that never drink their water?

Is it because they get enough water from cucumber and melon?

I've even tried a bit of weak orange squash but not even that tempted them!

starshine

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Some of my pigs drink loads - others barely touch their water.

If they get a lot of wet food they get their moisture from that.

The only time you need to worry is if their drinking habits suddenly change.

If you want to get extra fluids in to them try wetting all their veg before you give it to them. Sneaky but it works!

lolseh

Reaction score
Mine are like that too
Vet said it's because they get enough water from their food
Misty will drink from time to time but Sooty never has that I know of
Should be ok

amillar

Reaction score
Hi i had never seen my pigs drink from their water bottles. They always had lots of fruit and veg and as i have only had them over the warmer months they have been out on the grass alot. Went away for a few days and took them with me in an in door cage so they only had hay and not so much fresh stuff and no fresh grass. Over these few days i saw them drink. If they are weeing ok and fresh water is avialable i shouldnt worry.

Niki

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Same here, the H's do drink quite a bit, the W's hardly anything.
I also do the wet veg trick ;D

P

pipercat23

I worried about that too but I guess Vash gets a lot from his veggies since we put water on them. He will drink from his water bottle but not as much as he once did. He is always peeing so I don't worry too much plus I see him licking water off his lettuce. I would not worry too much as long as they are healthy and peeing.lol :)

michellemuffin

Reaction score
I knew a breeder who never supplied his pigs water they got all theri fluids from his own specially grown hay and seed he soaked it to germinate a then left it to grow in a dark place, never really listened much but i thought it was a lot of work for not giving them drinks, but i have heard of it happening, mine all have drinks, some drink gallons others a drip

H

Hannah_lg

my 1 year olds arder ever drink water - but there eat cummber, ceraly and tomtoes and sometimes grapes which are all watery stuff and there wee loads too

Billies Mum

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Bil drank from his bottle when it was hot outside - rarely apart from that.

B

Beanie

Yes, I have 6 pigs; some drink, some don't. I too think it is because they're is alot of water in their diet already; like grass, which is what i regularly feed my pigs with.
One time, I saved one of my guineas called Barb becuase she was out in the sun and nearlly got heatstroke. So i gave her a drink through a syringe and she was fine.
They also tend to drink when you're not near them; I think it's just because that's the way they're like in the wild i suppose.

But keep an eye on 'them though!

Status
Not open for further replies.