• Winter is here! Make sure you piggies are safe by taking action now, for more information on cold weather protection - Click Here
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

My degus...

Kelly_uk18

Junior Guinea Pig
Here are my 4 boys. I've had them for 3 years, they're about 3.5 ish. There's the degu pile in one picture and the other picture is them waiting for their food. They could hear me rattling around feeding Balthazar and Barnabas so they were getting jealous. Thought I'd show them off too. Loki the little brown one at the front who is the boss, Thor, Dodge and Curly IMG_20190105_202003_691.jpg 20190107_201348.jpg

Kelly_uk18

Junior Guinea Pig
I love Degus. I do want to have some one day. I hear they can get diabetes very very easily and need a low sugar diet. Is this right?
Their diet is similar to the GP minus the fruit and veg. They can have some greens but they are fussy. Ours tend to just live off pellets and hay treats and they're not even bothered about the hay. In all honesty they are pretty simple to keep, they are prone to diabetes and other illnesses but we have never had an issue up to now and never needed a vet trip in 3 years **touch wood**

SkyPipDotBernie

Adult Guinea Pig
They are hilarious. Between them squeaking and the GPs chattering theres a lot of noise in our living room 😂 sometimes the GP are set off by the degus and it's a shout off. They all react to the rustling of bags
So whats the oldest you have had a degu live to? Or are these your first ? I think they can go to 8

Kelly_uk18

Junior Guinea Pig
They look lovely.
I won't show my daughter - she is desperate for us to get degus!
They arent cuddly and their bites hurt A LOT. We have 2 that come out of the cage and just jump on to our shoulders, run up and down our back and arms then go back in. 2 other ones are a bit less inclined to want to be handled. They will run onto our knees for food if we crouch near the open door or eat out of our hands.

Kelly_uk18

Junior Guinea Pig
So whats the oldest you have had a degu live to? Or are these your first ? I think they can go to 8
These are our first. It was an introduction to pets for our kids to see how they looked after them now they're older. The lady we got them from had some about 7/8 years old that were still going good 😊

Kelly_uk18

Junior Guinea Pig
My partner previously had four degus: she had three make it beyond 9 and the fourth to 8. IIRC it was dental issues that did for them in the end. I did love the way they all piled on top of each other to go to sleep.

View attachment 104333
Wow that's a good age.. It's a big commitment but they are so entertaining

alpacasqueak

Teenage Guinea Pig
They arent cuddly and their bites hurt A LOT. We have 2 that come out of the cage and just jump on to our shoulders, run up and down our back and arms then go back in. 2 other ones are a bit less inclined to want to be handled. They will run onto our knees for food if we crouch near the open door or eat out of our hands.
Sounds like my chinchillas, well just got my boy Pedro now but people think they look cute so must be cuddly! It's definitely just on their terms!
My pigs and chin(s) have always set each other off too, in different rooms but one starts and the others think they're missing something so got to spread the word! :)