• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My degus...

Kelly_uk18

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Here are my 4 boys. I've had them for 3 years, they're about 3.5 ish. There's the degu pile in one picture and the other picture is them waiting for their food. They could hear me rattling around feeding Balthazar and Barnabas so they were getting jealous. Thought I'd show them off too. Loki the little brown one at the front who is the boss, Thor, Dodge and Curly IMG_20190105_202003_691.jpg20190107_201348.jpg

My neighbour has Degu’s and they are little characters x lovely photos x

I love Degus. I do want to have some one day. I hear they can get diabetes very very easily and need a low sugar diet. Is this right?

I love Degus. I do want to have some one day. I hear they can get diabetes very very easily and need a low sugar diet. Is this right?
Their diet is similar to the GP minus the fruit and veg. They can have some greens but they are fussy. Ours tend to just live off pellets and hay treats and they're not even bothered about the hay. In all honesty they are pretty simple to keep, they are prone to diabetes and other illnesses but we have never had an issue up to now and never needed a vet trip in 3 years **touch wood**

My neighbour has Degu’s and they are little characters x lovely photos x
They are hilarious. Between them squeaking and the GPs chattering theres a lot of noise in our living room 😂 sometimes the GP are set off by the degus and it's a shout off. They all react to the rustling of bags

They are hilarious. Between them squeaking and the GPs chattering theres a lot of noise in our living room 😂 sometimes the GP are set off by the degus and it's a shout off. They all react to the rustling of bags
So whats the oldest you have had a degu live to? Or are these your first ? I think they can go to 8

They look lovely.
I won't show my daughter - she is desperate for us to get degus!
They arent cuddly and their bites hurt A LOT. We have 2 that come out of the cage and just jump on to our shoulders, run up and down our back and arms then go back in. 2 other ones are a bit less inclined to want to be handled. They will run onto our knees for food if we crouch near the open door or eat out of our hands.

So whats the oldest you have had a degu live to? Or are these your first ? I think they can go to 8
These are our first. It was an introduction to pets for our kids to see how they looked after them now they're older. The lady we got them from had some about 7/8 years old that were still going good 😊

My partner previously had four degus: she had three make it beyond 9 and the fourth to 8. IIRC it was dental issues that did for them in the end. I did love the way they all piled on top of each other to go to sleep.

Degus.jpeg

My partner previously had four degus: she had three make it beyond 9 and the fourth to 8. IIRC it was dental issues that did for them in the end. I did love the way they all piled on top of each other to go to sleep.

View attachment 104333
Wow that's a good age.. It's a big commitment but they are so entertaining

They arent cuddly and their bites hurt A LOT. We have 2 that come out of the cage and just jump on to our shoulders, run up and down our back and arms then go back in. 2 other ones are a bit less inclined to want to be handled. They will run onto our knees for food if we crouch near the open door or eat out of our hands.
Sounds like my chinchillas, well just got my boy Pedro now but people think they look cute so must be cuddly! It's definitely just on their terms!
My pigs and chin(s) have always set each other off too, in different rooms but one starts and the others think they're missing something so got to spread the word! :)

Ahh. We don't have room for something like that.

Degu dreams runied :(

Back