• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My Dog Has Cancer, Can Anyone Relate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cally

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My beautiful border collie, Meggie had a scope up her nose last month after a couple of months of the left side of her face swelling and various medications from the vet not working. He unfortunately found a tumour at the back of her nose, almost pressing on her eye. He said that it was best not to remove or treat, so we are just managing her pain. She's 8 years old.

She's been on metacam for 4 weeks, she's started drinking execessivley so I have to get a pee sample from her and take to the vets for tests...that doesn't sound good does it? Her face has also swelled up again tonight, the vet has prescribed some childrens calpol along with her metacam and suggested she go on steroids as the metacam may no longer be effective pain management.

Since we found out, we've said we don't want her to suffer, but how do you know when it's time? People have told me she'll let me know, but I don't want to leave it until she can't walk, or the tumour is so big she can't breathe...is she suffering now? She still wags her tail and loves meal times, does that mean it's not time? What if the results come back that she's got kidney failure now?

I'm sorry for the bleak post, I take comfort in the fact that Meggie doesn't have to worry about this and that she doesn't fear death. I just wondered if anyone had been through or is going through a similar situation?

Hi, I'm so terribly sorry to hear that you dog is so poorly. When one of my dogs was on Metacam for a while she had excessive thirst as the drug was causing problems with her liver. We stopped using it & she stopped drinking gallons of water, so in Meggies' case it may not be kidney's. There are lots of other pain relief meds out there so you may be able to change to something else. My collie Jodie had heart failure & that was incurable & I think for Meggie you will know when the time has come, just as I did for Jodie. If she seems happy in herself & eating her food then I would say it's not time yet. when she seems unhappy/ uninterested in things or off her food/ in pain or you feel she is really starting to struggle then that would be time to talk to your vet. See what each day brings for now xx

I am so sorry to hear this sad news. I have no experience but I am tagging @Abi_nurse as she will be able to advise you.

I'm so sorry to read about your Meggie. I do agree with the above poster you'll know when it's time. It's horrible for us humans but thankfully your Meggie doesn't know what's going on.

My Ben was on Steroids due to a tumour in his spine it was very effective in managing his pain. He to was given palliative care due to the position of his tumour. It's an awful predicament to be in.

Spoil her rotten and enjoy every day she has with you.

Hey there.

Very sorry to hear this. Nasal tumours are not nice at all. I would agree with your vet on the steroid front. It can help a little with pain and swelling. Try not to worry about her kidneys, at this point in time anything like this can be managed and there are other things other than kidney problems which can cause excessive drinking and urinating.

As for knowing the best time for your dog it's very difficult to say from an outsiders point of view. From the facial tumours that I've seen on pets over the years the most important thing is managing any pain and making sure they are not having trouble eating. If she gets to a point where you feel either of these things are effecting her then It may be worth considering calling it a day. It's a very tough decision but needs to be made in her interests. You know your own dog, and I'm sure you will know, if that makes sense. I'm glad you have a good perspective on it, you sound very sensible in saying that she does not fear it. They live for today and if she is not her usual self or painful you will know when the time comes.

So sorry for this happening. You need any other information on this horrible time don't hesitate to ask. I have seen many animals with this sort of thing, although not always personally involves in care.

Stay strong.
xx

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for your kind comments. I'm finding it difficult as I've never had to deal with anything like this. She has good days and bad, like today for example she's had a pretty serious nosebleed and is struggling to breathe out her nose.

Yet she is still eating, loves a cuddle, wags her tail and still wants to come out for walkies - although we don't go far at all anymore, I have to take my other collie out separately now as he needs a lot more exercise to make him happy!

I think it's these 'bad' days that make me worry, although I'm definitely going to go on the steroids on Monday as they seem a better option that the anti inflammatories.

I can't add any thing specific but I did want to say how sorry I wass to read this thread.
I am sure you'll do everything. You can for your dog and make your last times together special.
Sending my best wishes and thoughts,
X x x

I'm so sorry to hear your poor dog has a Timor. I can't help I'm afraid I just wanted you to know you're in my thoughts x

I'm so sorry. It is really a tough decision, and how to know if she's ready to leave? Time will do.

I think you do really need to enjoy the moments with her. Now she's still OK (I mean, like you said, she still wags her tail and loves meal times); just like the people told you, she'll let you know when it's the time to go.

I don't even have the right words, I'm sorry.

Hugs.

I'm so sorry for you and meggie. I can't add anything more, but you are in my thoughts. I have had dogs for many, many years ( currently two collies aged 10 + 11 ) and they have always let us know when it has been time to let them go. Keep her pain free, and enjoy each day at a time. x

Be sure that you are not delaying for your sake rather than in the dogs best interest. My vet always says rather a little too soon making the decision than too late. So sorry for your predicament .It is a very heart breaking but your dog is relying on you to spare them any pain.

Be sure that you are not delaying for your sake rather than in the dogs best interest. My vet always says rather a little too soon making the decision than too late. So sorry for your predicament .It is a very heart breaking but your dog is relying on you to spare them any pain.

This is my main concern! :(I actually went to the emergency vet tonight because I couldn't get her nose to stop bleeding and she looked miserable. He thinks changing to steroids is a good idea, we were booked to see our vet on Monday anyway so will hopefully get the ball rolling then.

I promise you, you will know when its time. When we had our collie Bella put to sleep, we knew exactly when it was time. I found with Bella, as she was a typical collie,her mind was still 100% active, which made it all the harder. But the first sign she was suffering was when we made the decision. She wasn't going to get better and we didn't want her to suffer. You will know when the time comes. Take each day as it comes. Sending lots of love and hugs to you and Meggie x

Having gone through this in the last few years with two dogs I can reassure you that when the time comes, you will know. My heart goes out to you xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back