My first boar--hes so different from a sow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have always had sows before.

Herbert has cauliflower bits and I had to clean it when I first got him but he has so far been ok in the 2 months I have owned him. He then got constipation so had to help him.

What else do I need to do thats different from having girlys?

shazbo

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
i have had no trouble with freddie and baz just odd occasion baz gets straw up his ass lol

Reaction score
I've never had a problem with boars either, I started off with them and I think theyre alot more down to earth than the females :)

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They're not too different, just check man bits for hay (as said above) and maybe check their scent gland more often (where their tail should be) because boys can be more prone to it getting really greasy.
I agree that boys seem to be more down to Earth, my boys are right attention seeking piglets!

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Artie gets straw stuck in his bum alot...but i don't know if its a boy thing (Harvey doesnt) but i clean their boys bits once a month, and I keep a daily check on them too when I'm checking over their teeth and nails :)

amywithpiggies

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have boars and sows :) I can tell the difference between the two pairs' habits etc.
My boys are louder, more rough-and-tumble and they have the most fun bum-smelling each other. I've never seen them with anything stuck to their bum, thank goodness :)) I'm not sure Valentino or Casey would appreciate that.

AudioHeart

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hehee i meant to put hay not straw (they've never had straw!), i've been working with straw all day with the kids nativity coming up lol whoops! :)) And Artie always gives me puppy eyes whenever he has hay bum problems poor thing! :))

lily 74

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I love my two rescue boars and they are lovely because they are big and chunky:))

Boars to me are harder work as they seem to smell a bit more and you have to clean their grease gland regulary. They can get impaction unlike sows and more likely to have quarrels (my two boars do) the sows get on well in a trio:))

Guinea-pigGaga

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Personally, having been owned by both genders, I prefer sows. However, I currently have three boars, and will be fostering boars for a local animal charity in the very near future.

As mentioned above, impaction can be an issue - particularly with elderly/ sick boars. However, 'cauliflower member', and grease glands can also be an issue, and may require regular attention.

Personally, I have not found that boars are required to be cleaned out on a more regular basis than sows. However, I clean/ scrub out my cages approximately every four days.

However, bonding can be an issue, and, personally, I believe boars to be unhealthier than sows. Although, I would have to agree that boars tend to be more affectionate.

Last edited:

MommaPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've only ever had boars but I find that they do tend to get hay stuck in their manly bits every now and then.

Little Piggles

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a neutered boy and three girls and don't treat them any different. Boris very occasionally has 'hay issues' but only on rare occasion.

He is much more excitable than my girls and seems to love popcorning, running laps and generally crashing into the girls, but it is one of my ladies (Willow) who is most happy to be fussed

:)

Hanwombat

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ive never had sows. I just find with my boars that they can get impaction sometimes and they can be bit smelly when they first meet :p

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've just checked my diary and in fact I've only had Frazzle for 2 1/2 weeks! seems so much longer he's so content here...

Status
Not open for further replies.