• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

My Girls Are Boys!

Mollyxsue

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I got two piggies last week (female I was told), I took them to the vet just for a health check and was told they were boys. I have been told that males can often fight. Is this true and can I do anyanyth to avoid it?

Lots of space. The more space the better. Have 2 of everything, water bottles, food bowls, hay trays etc... If they are young be prepared for the hormone spikes, they can be quite mischievous and grouchy during that time. Also have a plan B in case a fallout does happen. If it does happen they may be content living next to eachother but with a divider between. Fingers crossed they stay bonded for you!

A lot depends on personality and age as to whether they will get on. I find the most important thing is cage size - the more space you can give them the better. I know the recommended minimum size for two is 120x60cm but in my opinion this is too small for boars, I would go for 140x80cm as a minimum. If you look in the guides section in the top bar you will find lots of useful information on behaviour and bonding, which will give you an idea of what to look out for. I love boars and have had several successful pairings, their interaction is facinating to watch. Try not to worry too much about them falling out.

The cage I have is 140cm x 60cm. I have two bowls, bottles, hay racks and waiting on two beds. They are 12wks and from the same litter. They have been chasing each other and squeaking alot. But it seems playful.

My first piggies since childhood were 2 brothers.
They lived together happily with minimal issues until we sadly lost one to a brain tumour.
No reason why your board shouldn’t live happily together if you follow the good advice already given.

A couple of well bonded young boys have a better than 50/50 chance of staying together according to the experts on the forum, so I wouldn't worry too much. I agree though about space. I have three boys together (almost 90% fail rate), and I'm convinced the only reason it's still working is because they have a huge C&C, which equates to around 20 square feet, plus a loft.

I have a pair of boys that have been together since they were at least 4 months old (that's the age they were when I got them, but I'm sure they were together before that). They are completely chalk and cheese personality wise but they get along like a house on fire, somehow. They're in a 4'x4' cage with multiple hideys - 4 carrot cottages, two seagrass tunnels, two bendy log tunnels. They've never had a major falling out, just hilarious squabbling, and they regularly fall asleep on top of each other.

No two boar pairs are the same, but don't go into this thinking they're going to fall out. They're honestly more likely than not to get along just fine. The teenage months are the worst, and when they're most likely to fall out, but as long as you're prepared for it (doubles of everything, hideys with two exits) then you'll be doing all you can. That's all your boys could ask for :tu:

I would have loved a C&C cage but I have a cat so not suitable. I have got a run that I put them in for a few hours a day. I will take all advice and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks everyone.

I would have loved a C&C cage but I have a cat so not suitable. I have got a run that I put them in for a few hours a day. I will take all advice and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks everyone.

I have a C&C and a cat :) Just need to make sure it's secure and has a lid. So if you did want to go down the C&C route it's certainly possible! :)

Boars get such a bad press. Some of the most loving bonded pairs I have come across are boars. The issue with boars is teenage hormones. If they can get through their teenage hormone spikes then they will live happily together for many years. The key to a happy friendship is plenty of space, and nothing to fight over. Please have a good read of our boars guides. Don’t be fearful - there are so many keepers in here who adore their boar pairs.

I have 3 male guinea pigs and they don’t fight I would suggest a out of cage time with lots of veggies and see how that goes

Yes that’s great I hope it all works out (:

Thanks everyone. I have managed to attach the original 100cm cage to the 140cm cage so it's an L shape. Fingers crossed and they have been getting our in the run also.

Back